"I can do push ups!" He protested.

"Barely." Horan and I said in unison. I instantly shot him a glare. I didn't like when we had the same thoughts.

"It doesn't matter how strong I am." Tomlinson argued. "How many cases have I helped you two bastards solve?"

I had no response. He was right.

"Irrelevant." Horan changed the subject. "What are everyone's plans for today?"

"Carter is coming with me." Styles slipped into the conversation. He was really good at just effortlessly involving himself in everything.

"Me?" I put a hand to my chest. "Why? I'm on desk duty still."

Lies. I was still tracking Denman. I didn't know when I was going to make my move. I needed something big to happen so it would reveal his motive, but so far I have nothing. It's exhausting staring at a screen all day.

"Perfect." Styles folded his arms over his chest, leaning back against Tomlinson's desk. "It's a stakeout, we simply have to spend quality time together."

"What if we have to make a run for it? I'm not physically fit for that at the moment. I don't want to retire early." I said calmly. In the right situation, my lies could roll off the tongue like the lyrics to my favourite song.

"Don't worry, we've got backup on call." He waved a hand in dismissal. "Your grandma joints won't be blowing up anytime soon."

"I don't-"

"Plus Malik suggested I take you along." He added.

I could see Horan suppressing a laugh out of the corner of my eye.

"Fine." I gave in. "Just let me get this all in order." I turned to my computer to organize my unfinished files.

"Meet me outside in ten." Styles glided out of the conversation as smoothly as he'd entered it.

"Okay." I replied quietly when he was gone.

"Kiss up." Horan remarked.

"Douchebag." I refused to look at him.

"Good to know you two are getting along." Tomlinson snickered.

"I'm gonna run and get some coffee." I stood up and took my bag, walking to the elevator.

"Mind if I join?" Horan caught up to me at the doors.

"Of course I mind, but I'm pretty sure you weren't really asking me for permission." I sighed.

"You're right." He swung an arm around my shoulder as the elevator descended.

"What are you doing?" I looked over at his hand on my arm. I knew for a fact that he knew it would make me mad. I swear to god he pisses me off on purpose like I'm some sort of monkey that he can mock at his own will.

"You're small enough to be an arm rest."

"And you're at the perfect height for me to knee you in the crotch."

"Noted." He pulled his arm away. "How come you don't act so snotty around Styles?"

"Because I like him."

"We're practically the same person."

"If you think that then you've either never met Styles or someone's been lying to you." I remarked as the doors opened again.

I heard a heavy sigh from behind me as I walked into the lobby.

As we made our way into Buzz's, Horan went straight over to a table where a few other detectives were sitting, enjoying their morning coffee. I went to Zara. I hadn't seen her since Friday night when we'd gone to the bar.