Chapter 1

Name: Elonza Beckers
Age: 19...
I typed into the application. I was applying for the most important day of my life to become a reality. The day that I would go to space. But I wasn't going to get this spot for no reason. I had to be majorly advanced in astrophysics, and I was, which is why I applied for the trip. Now you might be somewhat confused, so let me explain.

My name is Elonza Beckers, but I would rather go by Lonzie for short. I am attending college, majoring in astronomy and minoring and music because I played the cello.

Ever since I was a kid, my life revolved around outer space. My parents were two of the greatest astronauts in America, and they were training me to become one as well. But a year ago, their mission in space went sour, and they died in the place that they loved most. I had just gotten to college when it happened, and it shook my world immensely. I was too anxiety ridden to continue attending school, so I left for eight months. This gave me time to play the cello more, which I had been playing since I was thirteen.

But when Von Doom industries offered a spot to go to space to study a mysterious gas cloud, I knew I had to go back to school. So I enrolled in college again, preparing for the day that I would apply to go to space, and hopefully eventually get there.

And alas, there I was. Sitting in the library, using the computers because I didn't have enough money to buy a laptop for myself. After finishing the application, I realized how late it was, so I gathered my things and went back to my dorm room.

I entered the pristine dorm, with bare white walls and white sheets on the two beds. I, unfortunately, had a roommate. Her name was Sylvia, and we didn't exactly get along very well. She was a diva. She was super rich, and she got everything that she wanted. I on the other hand, was not rich. I barely had any money.

Another reason we didn't get along was because she was jealous of me. I was the valedictorian of the school, due to my cunning brain. She was also smart, but not as smart as me. Let's just say that we were not really the same type of girl.

"You got here late enough." she huffed. I didn't notice her sitting on her bed, painting her nails, when I came in. I merely rolled my eyes at her rudeness.

"Yeah, well unlike you, I was doing something productive." I replied, placing my green backpack down on my bed. I went to the dresser, pulled out grey sweatpants and a black t-shirt, and pulled my long, red hair up into a messy bun.

"I was doing something productive!" she scoffed. "I was painting my nails." Yeah, as if that were productive.

"Whatever." I sighed. "I'm going to bed. Don't wake me up with your boyfriend."

"Aren't you gonna go to the party tonight?" she asked, closing the cap on her hot pink nail polish and putting it back in the drawer.

"Nope. I intend on staying in tonight." I shut her idea down quickly, since I wasn't really the type to go to parties. I plopped down on my bed, pulling out the book I was currently reading from the middle shelf in my bookcase.

"Oh come on! It's almost the end of this term and you haven't been to any parties yet! Plus, it would be a great way for us to bond!" she suggested. 

"Yeah, like I would want to bond with you. Remember, we don't exactly get along great." I stammered.

"Which is exactly why I want you to go to this party with me. It would do you good to get out for once. And there's going to be a lot of cute boys there..." she said, twirling a piece of her long, dark brown hair around her finger. 

"Another reason why I don't want to go. Just because you can't live without a boyfriend doesn't mean that I have to have one too."

"Hey! I have lived a whole day without Jayden!" Jayden was her ex-boyfriend as of two days ago. They had only dated for a week, and I knew that it wasn't going to work out well. I also knew that he had cheated on her with Amanda Barnes four days ago. 

"Yes, but I don't need to be dragged into the boyfriend business. I have other important business to attend to." I replied.

"Like the business that you were attending to in the library earlier?" she questioned with a small smirk on her face.

"Yes. And now that I'm done with that business, I have to finish my book in two weeks for English class." I said, glaring at her.

"Lonzie, you are going to this party whether you like it or not. There's no way you are getting out of this. Here," she uttered, walking over to the closet, "I have a dress that you can borrow." She pulled out a super tiny blue dress, tossing it onto my bed. I held it up in my hands, observing how low cut the cleavage was, and how tight it was going to fit on me. 

"Svlvia, there is no way that I can wear this." I tossed it back to her. She caught it in mid air and threw it back to me. 

"Lonzie, you don't own any dresses, you haven't been to any parties yet this semester, and you have no interest in a boyfriend. I think you've gone down the deep end." she huffed.

"Correction, I do own a dress."

"Well, it's nothing that you could wear to this party. I hear some other guys are going to be there. Guys that don't go to this college." she grinned, raising her eyebrows up and down.

"Okay, that's great for you. But I'm not going to be there so it doesn't matter."

"I hear Sue Storm's little brother will be there..."

That caught my attention. Sue Storm was close with Reed Richards, the lead scientist in the expedition to space. The same expedition that I had applied for. Also the same expedition that my parents never finished. If I could talk to Johnny, I maybe I could get on a good note with his sister, who would give me the position on the expedition. 

"Fine. I'll go."

"You'll go! That's great! Wait- was it because Johnny's going to be there?" she raised an eyebrow at me questioningly. I rolled my eyes at her thought.

"Yes. If I get on a good note with Johnny, I get on a good note with Sue. And if I get on a good note with Sue, then I can be guarunteed a spot on the flight to space to study the gas cloud." I explained.

"Lon, you could have told me that. My dad owns the company that's sponsoring the trip." she said. All this time I could have just come to her, but no. I was too stupid to make the connection. "Well, since you agreed on going to the party, we have to get you ready."