Chapter 17: Leap of Faith

Start from the beginning

Her past self waves to a crowd before she goes to climb a high-dive tower that overlooks a very small container of water, set up in the middle of a street in a Western-style settlement. The onlookers cheer and she steps out to the end of the diving board, pausing only for a brief bounce before leaping into space.

Granny Smith: Falling six stories into a deep dish pie pan takes a toll on the hindquarters.

Before she can hit the water, the film skips and burns away, the background music going to pieces as well.

(End of Flashback)

Granny Smith: Oh, I was so sore, took years before I could even look at the water again! Just the idea of swimmin' makes my whole body ache!

She gets out of her chair and lifts each hind leg in turn.

Granny Smith: Besides, these old legs can't even paddle fast enough to stay afloat.

A few steps bring her into a puddle, part of the aftermath of Applejack's big splash on (Y/N). As soon as her hooves touch the water, she goes into a series of surprised yelps and flails that bring her perilously close to toppling. However, she manages to get all four limbs planted firmly.

Apple Bloom: Boy, I sure would hate to be afraid of swimmin'.

(Y/N): Well, someponies do things with a lot of courage and soon enough it can become a fear of theirs.

Apple Bloom: You think I'll ever be scared of the water?

She thens glance over causing her eyes to pop in sudden surprise before she sinks a bit, grimacing in fear as a shark fin cruises slowly past. Apple Bloom leaps up with a yell with her hooves windmilling fast enough to keep her above the surface, and bolts for shore.

Granny Smith's jaw drops open ever so slightly at the sight and then the fin rises, part of a bathing cap on Big Mac's head.

Big Mac: Nnope.

He, (Y/N), and Applejack share a good laugh at the prank.

(Y/N): *laughs* Priceless, Big Mac! Priceless!

Once it was time for all of the Apples to head on back to Sweet Apple Acres, Big Mac packed all of the swimming gear in a wagon as all of them including (Y/N) were walking down on a path together.

Apple Bloom: Wow, Granny. I can't believe you were a high diver!

Granny Smith: The best one in Ponyville!

Apple Bloom: Do you think I could be a high diver?

Big Mac: Nnope.

Applejack: Absolutely not.

(Y/N): Definitely not at your age.

Apple Bloom: But-

Granny Smith: Now you hold your horsefeathers, little seed! I never said bein' a high diver was a smart decision! It's incredibly dangerous!

Apple Bloom: I know, but-

(Y/N): Apple Bloom! Granny's got a point. I fight large creatures all of the time, but that doesn't mean that you should go out and do it yourself. Daredevil stunts like those take a lot of courage and willpower.

Granny Smith: Ya darn right, young'un. High divin' was the riskiest, scariest, darn-fool thing I ever did do! That's not to say I didn't wish I was still young and spry and confident, but let's leave the flyin' through the air to the Pegasi.