5: Shades of Yellow

Start from the beginning

Their bond had deepened from strangers to acquaintances, to friends; and now they're unsure if being friends was enough. 

It had become a routine for the young woman, and she was always excited when she went outside to grab the envelope from the letterbox. But one Saturday morning, she didn't find a letter in it; yet she waited until the evening, up until Sunday—only for Sadie to witness her mother glaring at her when she returned to her room. "Mama? What are you doing here?"

"This is my house. I can go anywhere I want," says Susan, her voice stern and disappointed.

"I mean, inside my—"

"What is this, Sadie?" her mother hoists her hand, gripping an envelope. "Answer me!"

"Let me explain—"

"So this is what you've been doing all this time?" Susan scolds. "Have you no shame?"

"He's a friend of mine, Mama..."

"Do you even know this boy? He's a stranger! What did we tell you about strangers!"

"But he's not! He found my diary before and he—"

"How in the world did this boy get your journal? You're foolish! You're a stupid lass!"

Sadie stood silent; her eyes shimmy from the threat of tears. "I'm sorry, Ma..."

"I never thought you'd be this brainless," Susan tears the letter. "Get a paper."

"What?"

"I said get a paper," her mom commands. "Grab a pen. I want you to write."

Sadie hesitates at first, but she follows Susan's orders, anyway. "...what for, Mama?"

"Let's give this mindless activity of yours to an end, shall we?"

A stray, tear droplet tattooed on the paper in front of Sadie, and beside her is a disapproving Susan, eyeing her daughter's every move. 

Susan had commanded Sadie to write a letter addressed to Ethan—a note stating for them to stop writing to one another, for both their sakes. Sadie's hand trembled as she wrote, but her mother never left her side without Sadie finishing the letter.

Once she was done, Susan instantly snatched the letter, then barged out of the door.

The young woman sat tranquil beside her bed, speechless—but hopeful. Suddenly, her eyes gleam, heart-thumping intensely and goosebumps all over her body when she sees Ethan's letter on the floor. Susan had left it there after she tore it in half. Sadie quickly picked it up, tears racing across her cheeks as she read the letter to herself.

16th of March, 2021

Bauan, Batangas

Dearest Sadie-Sunflower,

The first thing that came into my mind when I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is you. Don't judge too quickly, but yes, this is my first time watching this pirate series. I suddenly remembered how much you talked about Jack Sparrow and all that, how cool his hat and his sword were, and how many lives that man possibly has, and I couldn't help but agree with you, Sadie. With all the unfortunate things happening to this pirate, I almost didn't want to believe he's still alive! But wow, really great film. I love this Spanish girl in the fourth film, though, Angelica. She's so gorgeous. Swoon. But you have the same features too, according to what you said about yourself. Black hair that reaches your chest, dark exuberant eyes, 5'4", except that you told me you were quite chubby and you always wore a necklace with a sunflower pendant. I say, you're fluffy. But jeez, okay. Deal. Since you told me your features, I'll tell you mine. I have wavy hair that reaches my neck, kinda long for a guy. I often put it into a bun or ponytail. Uh, I'm tall, and I have a splendid-looking nose, I swear. I'm tan. That, and I don't know anymore.

And sorry for being a day late, Sadie-Sunflower; I had to accomplish stuff here on the farm. And nope, I am still not telling you what my business is. All you know is that I stay on the farm right now, end of the story. Besides, you won't answer my question whether you read historical books or not! You know what, Sadie? I want to get to know you more—so uh, I kinda have a few ideas in mind. But it's okay if you won't allow me; I just wanna ask...

Can I drive you out?

P.S. I'm willing to listen to your Les Miserables playlist, but on a road trip.

Yours,

Ethan-Hates-Chemistry

Sadie sheds a tear, clutching the paper in her hands. Is this really the end for them?

"You can, Ethan," she mutters in between sniffs, "You can drive me out."