"Don't tell me you guys were worried." Techno joked, playing it off. He was almost immediately disproven as Sapnap spotted them and did a double take before completely dropping his own lacrosse stick and sprinting over.

"You're back!" He cheered, an elated smile on his face as he ruffled Tommy's hair and slapped a warm hand on Techno's shoulder. "Where on Earth have you guys been!"

Techno scowled and rolled his eyes, but he was smiling a small smile. It was nice to know that they had been missed by their friends in the same way that they were missing them.

"Oh Sapnap, you don't wanna know." Tommy said dramatically. "It was dark, man. Real dark."

"Oh, it wasn't that bad." Phil chortled, giving Wilbur a wave as his eldest son climbed into the drivers seat and headed for the exit to the car park.

"It was hell." Tommy deadpanned, shaking his head with a solemn look. "I don't think I've ever been closer to death, really."

Techno raised an eyebrow. "Not even when you locked Wilbur in the elevator?"

Dream and Sapnap laughed as Tommy shook his head boldly. "Not even close."

"You must be Dream." Phil said, picking up on the green tank top. Techno and Tommy had made it out to be a big deal. The dude liked green.

"Nice to meet you." Dream said with a smile, offering his hand out to shake. "Phil, right? Techno's dad?"

"Got it in one." Phil confirmed, shaking his hand. "And that makes you Sapnap?"

"Wow, he's good." Sapnap giggled with a nod. "I really thought Tommy was adopted, but now I'm thinking it might be the other way around."

"Oh Sapnap you fucking--" Tommy began, already falling right back into his routine. Techno rolled his eyes, giving his younger brother a light shove.

"Well, I gotta get these two up to the office, but they'll be back to classes tomorrow." Phil said.

"We should probably get back to running drills anyway." Dream agreed, giving his friends another smile. "I'm glad you're back, guys. Both of you."

"Yeah. It's been so quiet without you." Sapnap joked, giving Tommy a sly smirk.

Tommy rolled his eyes as he began to walk away with his dad and brother, in the general direction of the office. "Don't worry Sapnap. I'll be back to kick your ass at your stupid stick game later."

"Can't wait." Sapnap grinned before turning and following Dream back to their class.

---

Sam and Hbomb were waiting for them in the office, along with the headmaster.

"Sam Nook!" Tommy cheered as he entered, throwing his hands up in excitement as he locked eyes with his favourite teacher.

"Hey, Tommy." Sam chuckled, a warm glow to his voice.

"Welcome back." Hbomb added, an equally warm smile on his face as he gave each of the boys a nod. Frowning slightly, he turned to Phil. "Is Wilbur not returning?"

"He's just got something to do in town first." Phil explained easily, waving it off. "He'll be by in the next hour or so."

"I'm glad that everything worked out." The headmaster spoke up for the first time, a polite smile on his face. His gaze was slightly less critical than usual, and Techno took that as genuine warmth from the usually displeased and stoic man. "I've already gone over the details with you on the phone Phil, unless there's anything else that we have to discuss?"

"I think we've covered most of it." Phil shrugged, an easy smile on his face. He brushed a loose strand of blonde hair from his eyes. He would need a haircut soon. It was nice to worry about trivial things again, like the length of his hair.

The adults talked for a little while longer, mostly about counseling services and adjusting back to the school routine, despite having only been gone for a week. Tommy didn't listen to much of it. He was practically twitching with anticipation.

The bell sounded, signaling the end of the period, and Tommy eyed the door. Tubbo would be walking between the science pavilion and the general pavilion. Right by the office.

"Tommy." Phil said, a silent question in his voice.

"I'm just gonna get some air, or something." Tommy said, glancing at his dad and gauging whether or not he would have to run away.

Phil let out a chuckle, reading his son like a book. "Go see him, mate. We'll finish up here." He glanced at Techno, giving him a gentle nudge. "You too. Get out in the sun for a little while."

Tommy didn't need telling twice. He ran for the door, throwing it open and sprinting through. Techno heaved a long sigh before turning and jogging after him.

The two of them made it outside just as the small stream of kids made their way out of the science building. Tommy jogged towards the crowd, barley aware of the eyes on him and his brother, searching for one person in particular. His face lit up as he spotted a familiar face. "Tubbo?"

In the middle of the crowd, the other boy's head snapped up, searching the surrounding area before locking onto his best friend. His eyes widened, his mouth dropping open and then twisting up into a wide smile. "Tommy?"

Tommy let out a loud laugh as he ran to his friend and tackled him in a hug, Tubbo dropping his books to wrap his arms tightly around his best friend. They dissolved into more laughter as Techno made his way over and their embrace ended. "Techno, you're here too !" Tubbo cheered, and much to the older boy's surprise, threw his arms around him too.

"Heh?" Techno grunted, hesitantly resting his arms on Tubbo's shoulders. Thankfully, the boy let go of him before he could feel to weird about it.

"Where have you been?" Tubbo asked as Tommy helped him collect up his books. "It's been like, an entire week. And was your phone off?"

"Oh man Tubbo, you don't even--" Tommy cut himself off with another burst of laughter. "I was in witness protection."

Tubbo's mouth dropped.

"Now you're just being dramatic." Techno rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face. Tommy dissolved into yelling at him about how stupid he was, and Tubbo watched the whole thing with a smile on his face.

God, he had missed this.

THIS IS NOWHERE NEAR THE END OF THE BOOK!! there is literally so much more coming lmao you guys really aren't ready

these author note things are starting to feel a bit repetitive i think. so, with all of my one brain cell behind me i've decided to switch things up and ask you lovely people a question

where are you from? i'm allllll the way down in australia, so what about you guys? id love to hear it (:

ty for reading!