Troubled Waters

It was now the last day of school before winter break. I haven't seen Kamal in school since the starting of the week. He has been ignoring my messages and my calls. We had a history exam today and he wasn't present for it. I'm going crazy. Why is he ignoring me? Did I do something wrong?

Walking to my third class of the day, I saw my best friend Lola. "Hey mama, how have you been?" she asked without looking at me. I told her I was fine and how about her but she didn't reply. "Helloooo?! Earth to Lola!" I shouted to get her attention. She looked up at me and that's when I saw it. She had a worried look on her face. "What's wrong?" I asked in a concerned tone. "He left Jay." "Who left?" I asked her. "Kamal...". My heart sunk. What did she mean he left? How could he leave? 

"What do you mean he left?!" I asked angrily. Lola was getting upset because I was letting out my anger on her. "Hey, i'm sorry. But why did he leave? Why didn't he tell me he was leaving?". She turned her phone so I could see what was on it. 

Kamal: I'm leaving. I couldn't face Jay but please let her know that i'm leaving. I know she's gonna be mad but she deserves to know regardless. 

I couldn't move. He just up and left me. High and dry. In the fucking wind. I grabbed the phone from Lola's hand and hit the call button. I stood there waiting on him to pick up. I waited and I waited. I kept calling like he would pick up on the next ring. The realization dawned on me and all I could do was slump down to the floor. "I can't believe he left. He didn't even have the balls to tell it to my face either". Lola sat down beside me and I placed my head in her lap. We sat there in silence and she consoled me until I felt like getting up or talking. I didn't bother to go to the rest of my classes for the day. I went to the nurse and told her I had been feeling sick. She gave me a release slip and I went home. When I got home I realized my mom was there. She comes home sometimes to get lunch or to just sleep during her lunch time. I knew me being home this early is gonna start something. But with the news I just got I didn't care. I walked inside and closed the door behind me. The front door was loud so my mom came down immediately as she heard it. "Um excuse me, why the fuck are you home so early?". I walked by her without a response. "Jay I asked you a question." still no reply. I stopped in my tracks when I heard the crash of glass behind me. Did she just throw a wine glass at me? Before I could open my mouth to answer her she threw another one and it barely missed me. "Mom i'm not in the mood for your antics right now. I don't feel well". Hearing this ticked her off. "No one called me to inform me that you were coming home!"

"You weren't suppose to be here anyway. So I didn't bother". When I tried taking another step up the stairs, another sound of glass ringed in my ear. This time the glass hit me in the back of my head. She was drunk. "WHAT THE FUCK MOM?!" I screamed at her. "You know you're just like your sisters. A whore. A disappointment. A mistake. I don't even know why I didn't stop after I had my miscarriage. I just had to go and have 3 little sluts!" she shouted at me. I ran towards her but before I could do anything, a heard my phone ringing in my pocket. I reached to answer it but my mother cut me off. "Yea...You never seem to have time even when i'm upset with you. You know what? Fuck you. You should've died when they took you out of me". As I was about to put the phone to my ear I dropped it and charged at her. I grabbed her by the hair and shoved her to the ground. I was on top of her punching her until my knuckles hurt. She managed to get the upper hand and she threw me off her. I hit my back on the edge of the counter and I slumped to the ground. Trying to focus on getting up, I hadn't realize that my mother was hovering over me. Before I could react, she kicked me in my stomach. Again. And again. And again. Over and over. I was about to pass out when I saw a figure lifting up my mom and carrying her away. 

When I finally came to, there she was. Glaring at me like I was public enemy #1. I never did anything to this lady to hate me this much. "You're moving out today. Not tomorrow. TODAY." she said in a stern tone. Before I could respond I saw something moving out the corner of my eye. I turned in the direction I had seen the figure. It was Kamal. I tried getting up but a sharp pain hit me where my stomach and back is. Then I remembered the events that had taken place earlier. I tried calling out to him but my throat was really dry. I gave up on trying to get his attention and turned back to my mother. "I don't care what you do with your life after this. Fuck all you want. Smoke all you want. Drink all you want. You're not my child anymore. I was right about you. You could stay with Brady over there if you fucking wish. Get your shit out my house before I light it all on fire". 

All I could do was cry. Why was she like this? I never did anything to her. I didn't bother her when I was at home. I never bothered her when I was cooking dinner. Nothing. What did I do to deserve this? 

I placed my head in my hands and started crying even harder. Maybe I was really a mistake. Maybe I didn't deserve to be here. Maybe I should just kill myself and not burden anyone anymore. As I was about to crawl to get a knife out of the knife holder, Kamal came inside and caught me before I did something stupid. "What are you doing Jay?" he asked picking me up. I tried walking on my own but it was too painful. "I thought you were leaving" I said to him. "I'm not leaving you behind. Especially with what I heard when I called you". I had forgotten about my phone. "I was on my way over here but I started driving faster when I heard the commotion."

"What am I gonna do Kamal? I have no where to go and she kicked me out" I said to him in a low tone.

"You're coming to live with me".