No. 18: Practice Makes Perfect

Start from the beginning

"Those powers... they're Remus's, right?" Virgil recalled. "The tentacle thing?"

"Yeah. The tentacle thing."

"I think I can see why."

Roman let out a little laugh. "I guess." His smile faded. "Since the Sanchez line is so small, my dad doesn't want it to die. Ever since Nina started seriously dating an antilegacy guy, and Vanessa came out as asexual, me and Remus are the last hope for it in his mind. Mostly Remus, if I'm being honest."

"And your mom?" Virgil asked quietly.

Roman sighed. "Well... the De Luca line's fairly extensive, but she did get a lot of flack for marrying a member of the Sanchez line. Her family still accepts her outwardly, but there's been a lot of snide comments. And she really, really, really doesn't want me and Remus---especially me---giving her more reason to be the De Luca disappointment. So if both of her sons came out as gay, that would mean that her kids ended a legacy line, and no matter how small or unliked that line was... it's still a big deal."

"That's bullshit," Virgil said.

"It definitely is, but try telling that to my parents," Roman mumbled.

Virgil squeezed Roman's hand. "Hey."

Roman looked up at him.

"You're the bravest guy I've ever met," Virgil told him. "You're amazing, and beautiful, and strong---physically and emotionally. You can do this, Roman. I believe in you. And I'm supporting you every step of the way."

Roman gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Virgil."

"No problem." Virgil kissed him on the cheek. "Just remember to call me afterwards and tell me how it went, okay?"

"I promise." Roman kissed him back. "And I love you no matter what."

................

"Absolutely perfect," Janus declared. "Perfect wording, perfect delivery. All you have to do is say it loud."

Remus inhaled. "Fuck you guys, I'm gay!"

"Louder!"

"Fuck you guys, I'm GAY!"

"Even louder!"

"FUCK YOU GUYS, I'M GAY!"

Janus applauded. "Excellent! You're nailing this!"

"Speaking of nailing, do you want me to tell them about you?" Remus asked, pushing his hair out of his face. "Or do you want me to keep that up in the air?"

"Confirm it," Janus said, waving his hand. "They didn't catch on before because they're blind and I'm a good liar. Anyone without the heteronormative blindfold on can see that we're a couple."

Remus paused. "You sure? I mean... I dunno if you'd want people like my parents knowing about you."

"Darling, anyone assuming that I'm straight is hell for me," Janus reminded him. "I know for a fact that your parents won't be happy, but it's much better than them thinking I'm the perfect hetero guy and deciding that it's okay to shove me at girls who I don't even want to be friends with."

"Yeah, you're right." Remus sat down next to him, grinning a little. "Can't believe I'm actually gonna do this. Not gonna lie, I'm a little excited."

Janus gave him a curious look. "Excited? Whatever for?"

"Y'know, after years of hiding and lying about who I actually am, it's gonna be so satisfying getting to flip 'em off with a big old 'I'm grey-aro and gay, ASSHOLES!' just so I can see the look on their faces."