Chapter Two:

Valyn's POV:

We made our way into the room where the yelling was being heard from. We saw a man laying on the floor. He looked like a janitor. He told us that he couldn't feel his legs so we knew a spinal injury was involved.

We started to look for something we could use as a backboard. Thats when Ali asked if the ironing board she found would work. Buck, Eddie, and I carefully moved him onto the makeshift backboard and made our way back into the hall.  We began our climb down the stairs to find an exit.

"Shit-stairs are blocked." I said.

"So are we trapped in here? I mean, one good aftershock and the-" Buck started before I cut him off

"Whole building will come falling down. Yeah, I know." I continued, "Let's make our way back up the stairs. Maybe we can find another stair case or elevator shaft for us to climb down."

We started back up the stairs and I slipped on some loose rocks.  Good think I was behind everyone because otherwise I would have caused a falling chain of dominos. They all turned to look at me.

"Shit, that hurt."

"You good?" Buck and Eddie asked in unison.

"Yeah, just scraped up my arm a bit. Nothing I can't handle."

Eddie helped me back onto my feet. Damn- he is so cute, and he has a son. God- Fuck my life.

Eddie's POV:

I was thinking about Christopher as we were walking back up the stairs to find another way out. Thats when I heard someone say "Shit, that hurt." I looked behind me and saw Vera sitting on the ground with a bloody elbow. "You good?" Buck and I asked in Unison. "Yeah, just scraped my elbow a bit. Nothing I can't handle." Vera responded. Fuck-why is she so cute. Buck and I were talking before the earthquake about how I should ask her out.

Of course I disagreed because I only just met her today. Although, if we get to know each other over the next couple months, I might consider it. I mean she is beautiful with her long brown hair tied back in french braids, and her blue eyes, and glowing smile. Now I am getting carried away.

I helped her up and we continued on. The 4 of us that were conscious began to speak again.

Valyn's POV:

"So Vee, what was your worst call?" I asked.

"My worst call was probably two years ago when my station and I were working a warehouse fire. Five of us were inside including me. Bishop, Herrera, and Gibson were on the third floor evacuating, Montgomery was on on the first floor also doing an evac, and I was on the second doing a sweep before I was going to head out. The ceiling fell and blocked all staircases and exits and the place was about to flash over. The fire was huge by then and so if you were trapped in a room there was no way out. When the ceiling collapsed, part of it caused about a 300 pound storage shelf to pin my leg down and I was stuck. The battalion chief had to turn the hoses on the warehouse with everyone still inside even if it would boil us alive, it was our best chance of getting out of there. We were ordered to take cover and I tried but couldn't do so because of the position I was in. The hoses were turned to the warehouse and put the fire out. We all got out alive with the victims of the fire. I got the worst of it with a femur fracture and a couple of second degree burns."

"Damn thats a story." Said Eddie

We all just chuckled. Nash called out over the radio for a headcount of the 118. Everyone responded except Hen and our faces all turned to a worried expression. We found an elevator shaft. At the time the elevator was above and stable so we made our way down the shaft, myself at the back. First, Diaz and the janitor went down to the next floor. Buck followed with Ali in his arms. The elevator was coming down now and I was almost to the floor below. I had to jump for it and I jumped just in time for the elevator to fly past that floor and crash at the bottom. The four of us looked down knowing how close we just came to death.