Chapter Five - Warrior of the Two Lands

When Y/n awoke, she didn’t know where she was. The last thing she remembered was holding the stone… Speaking of which, where was it? It was then she noticed she wasn’t in her typical clothes. One look at them and she recognized the style almost immediately. She was sure she had seen a depiction of them in a papyrus at one point, but she just couldn’t remember what they represented. Looking around, she instantly recognized the sands and the Nile. She could never forget such a place. She was in Egypt.

        How she got there, she hadn’t a clue. The lapis lazuli wasn’t anywhere on her person. Not knowing what else to do really, Y/n decided to walk. Maybe she’d find someone from a nearby town or village. As she walked, she felt something bump against her leg. Looking down, she realized she had a sheath with a sword. She pulled the blade out. It was beautiful, made of solid brass and sharp enough to split a hair. The hieroglyph of the sun was engraved in the hilt. She put it back in its sheath. It might come in handy.

        Continuing her walk beside the Nile, she admired its crystal clear waters, unaffected by pollution or man. It seemed it even clearer than the last time she visited. Maybe the government was  working on cleaning it up. The thought made her smile. A couple of fish swam by. Y/n watched them. She knelt down and dipped her hand in the cool waters. One of the fish cautiously swam up, touched her hand, and then swam away in a flash of scales. Y/n laughed. Perhaps one day she would visit Egypt just for the sake of visiting. After all, it was a beautiful place.

        An ibis walked by, searching the waters for fish. It stopped and seemed to look right at her. Y/n looked at it curiously. It tilted its head to the right. After she didn’t look in that direction, it turned its head to the right and glanced at her. Was it trying to tell her something? The bird looked at her and back to the right again. For some reason, she dismissed the logical side of her brain that told her such a thing was absolutely ridiculous. After ending up in Egypt in familiar yet ancient clothes, Y/n decided to forget logic and scientific thinking. Listening to her instinct and going on a whim, she headed in that direction.

        The ibis followed. She stopped and looked at it. It looked back at her as if to say ‘Why did you stop? Keep going!’ Y/n did so, feeling nervous in the back of her mind, as if this were a matter of urgency. She saw a horse galloping east. Judging by the accessories and condition, it was obvious it was of great value. Why, then, did it not have a rider? Her gut told her something was wrong. She broke into a run in the direction the horse came from.

        Y/n saw a man on the ground, another above him bearing a dagger. Instinct and her morals kicked in and she reacted without thinking. Drawing her sword, she jumped in between the two men, her sword clashing with the attacker’s dagger. He seemed taken by surprise, but quickly swung at her. She dodged and blocked. In the back of her mind, she wondered where she learned to sword fight, but she ignored the question. She’d look into it later.

        The man lunged at her. With a solid swipe of her blade, he collapsed in the sand dead. Y/n wiped her sword of blood and sheathed it. She turned to the man lying on the ground. He was dressed in the garb of an ancient king. The design looked around the time of the Middle Kingdom. Either there was a reenactment going on somewhere or she had gone through time. And after everything that had happened, she wasn’t sure which to believe. She noticed his blood stained tunic. “You’re wounded,” she said, kneeling down beside him.

        As she examined the wound, her fingers gently grazed his chest. A sense of deja vu came upon her. She remembered when the king was brought into the lab, how he was so well preserved. She remembered his face, his features. She looked at the wounded man. The sharp cheekbones, the angular chin, the sharp nose, it was all there. As her mind raced, she helped him stand. A part of her humored the idea of being in the ancient world. She looked at the man. “You should of had a guard with you,” she said seriously, “There are many who wish to kill the king.” The man only stared at her as she helped support him.