Chapter One - Training

I sighed, pulling my fingers through my soft hair. “I can’t do it, Benjamin,” I whispered, looking up at him.

Benjamin was leaning against the railing outside the house, his dark skin dancing like thousands of diamonds in the sunlight. His crimson eyes looked amused as he gazed at me. The faded dark blue scarf wound around his neck went well with his dark jumper and dark gold waistcoat.

“That’s because you’re doing it wrong,” he said, grinning at me. The sunlight bounced off his pearly white teeth. He dragged his hand through his short, black curly hair. “Imagine the metal as a gas, not a solid. Feel like you are moulding the air, not the metal.”

“I have,” I whispered, but I turned back to my pile of metal. It lay in a heap, distorted in many ways from my failed attempts at bending it.

I reached my hands out to the metal. Focusing my mind on the metal, I tried to imagine it as a gas in my hands. My hands moulded around the air, the ball of metal on the floor copying. Suddenly feeling like I could do anything, I shot my hand up, and the centre of the metal shot up in a thin line, a sharp point at the end. I had hoped to make it all point upwards, but I hadn’t learned that much about my power yet.

I flipped backwards, my hand in the air sailing behind me. As I landed, I caught a glimpse of the metal as it followed my hand, arching downwards until it touched the floor. I was closed into a wide arch of metal around me.

Benjamin drew in a breath. “Hey, El?” he asked cautiously, “You didn’t kill yourself, did you?”

I laughed. “Nope,” I whispered from inside the arch of metal. My whisper bounced off the metal, making it louder.

Benjamin laughed. “That was pretty impressive. Try again,” he instructed, and I stepped out from inside the arch. I tried again, this time trying to get the metal to flatten out like dough.

My hands patted down the air in front of me, the metal doing the same as if I were patting it down myself.

“Hey!” Someone boomed from behind me, and I jumped. The flat metal suddenly spiked in the centre. I turned around to see Emmett by the door, a big grin on his face. “Looking… er… good,” he said, his grin widening.

I glared at him. “It might be if you didn’t jog me,” I whispered.

Emmett raised his hands defensively. “I did nothing of the sort, little sis,” he said. I loved how he called me that. He had accepted me into the family as if I had been with them for centuries. “I’m nowhere near you.”

Benjamin laughed, crossing his arms over his chest. “Care to join us, Emmett?” he said, grinning. “I thought we could do a one-on-one, or in this case, a one-on-one-on-one,” Benjamin said, grinning wider.

Both Emmett and I protested at the same time. “But you’re power will give us the disadvantage,” I whispered, glaring at the both of them.

“I wouldn’t call it a disadvantage, but two benders against me?” Emmett laughed.

Benjamin sighed, walking down the steps, followed by Emmett. “You’re too scared that you might lose to us,” Benjamin said with a grin.

“It’s all against all, not you two ganging up on me,” Emmett said, clasping his big, muscular hands together. He stopped, sinking into a crouch. We were in a triangle, all waiting for someone else to make the first move.

“Go!” Benjamin shouted, and Emmett lunged at me. Benjamin also ran at me, his speed surprising me. I dodged under the arm Emmett threw at me, my leg connecting with his ankle. I pushed with all my might, and Emmett’s leg pushed backwards. He leant a hand against the snow to stop himself from falling, and Benjamin crashed into us.