Tobias James 'Toby' Smith or by his adoptive name, Tobias James 'Toby' Soot, later Tobias James 'Toby' Baynton-Willbond is one of the Chinese Zodiac Heroes and one of the secondary school students. He is the protagonist of the series.

Background

Official Description

Tobias James Smith, or by his adoptive name, Tobias Hanes Soot, later Tobias James Baynton-Willbond is an 18-year-old British secondary school student. He suffers from cystic fibrosis, hemiplegic cluster headaches and has dyslexia. With the help of his amulet, he can have powers based on his Zodiac sign, the Year of the Goat and can transform into a spirit. Not only that, he can access all powers and is the 2nd leader.

Appearance

Toby is a teenage boy with long brown hair with long bangs swept to the right (his left), blue eyes and pale skin with rosy cheeks. His casual wear consists of a dark green button-up shirt, blue jeans/trousers and black sneakers/trainers. His new outfit for Volume 7 consists of a red and black unbuttoned flannel over a black shirt, blue jeans and white shoes. Like other CF patients, he brings an oxygen tank and nasal cannulas along the way. He has fingerless gloves which contain metal strips and a metal wire used for metal-based powers as well as crystals for crystal-based powers. As well as his belt which contains his spare metal strips and crystals. His sleepwear consists of a black shirt and blue sweatpants. His student uniform consists of a navy blue blazer over a white dress shirt with a red necktie, warm grey pants, white socks and black shoes. While he was paralysed, he wears a dark green t-shirt and his usual jeans/trousers and shoes and instead of his nasal cannula, he wears a nasal BiPAP mask. His Chinese New Year outfit consists of a red traditional changshan, black trousers and his everyday shoes. He stands at 5 ft. 5 and is of average weight. In his spiritual state, his eyes glow white. His spirit form is a red Asian dragon with access to all powers.

History

Early Life

Toby was born on the 23rd of December 2003 in the UK. He was born with cystic fibrosis caused by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and dyslexia. Due to his medical conditions and dyslexia, he was told that his biological parents neglected him and he lived in an orphanage when he was 13. However, it turned out to be a lie because his parents really died in a plane crash on the way to Thailand and his legal guardian was supposed to be Mat. At the same time, he and Tommy discovered their spiritual potential. When he was 16, he, along with his best friend, Tommy, was adopted by a young adult man named Wilbur.

Volume 5, 6 (Zach's era, pre-storm era)

When he joined the Zodiac heroes to replace Louis, he immediately became the 2nd leader after having the ability to use all powers. He became the 2nd British to do so after Brad and is the shortest leader. In Season 3, he was kidnapped and sent to Pandora's Vault in Norwich by Jschlatt. Later in Season 4, he got executed but was saved by the Zodiac heroes. Especially Alex since he removed Lunatite from his system with the help of Metal powers. In Season 5, he had hit his lowest point. He was paralysed and on a ventilator as well as suffering from nightmares due to PTSD. He had to go through physiotherapy as well. During that time, he also cut himself but after his recovery, he wrapped the cuts in bandages, a fashion style the rest of his team would wear later.

When his teammates were doing the Hog Hunt, they needed to walk from Yuansu Park to the final control room. However, halfway there, he collapsed and complained that he couldn't walk. This means that after being poisoned by the Lunatite and recovering, he isn't able to walk long distances. The damage from Season 4 affected various Psychic-based powers. Like memory projection where he attempted to project his memory but he eventually managed to overcome his PTSD and can use Psychic-based powers again. He then leads his team to hunt down Dream.