chapter one

Mornings on the island had always been one of Olivia's favourite parts of summer vacation. Back at her mother's house, mornings were gray and dreary, but here, Olivia didn't have to get up at a certain time; she could simply let the sun wake her when it rose, its rays filtering through the white curtains of her room and gently caressing her cheeks. She couldn't remember a summer she hadn't spent at her aunt Carla's house. When she'd been younger, it had always been fun and exciting, nowadays it was a way to escape the life she had to endure the remainder of the year.

Olivia lifted the familiar soft yet scratchy cotton sheets from her body. Her toes touched the cold floor of her room. She stretched off the tiredness from her limbs before getting ready. She'd only arrived the night prior, but Olivia was a natural early riser, she didn't need much sleep. She slipped on a casual outfit, she didn't need to be dressed like royalty, she was just going to visit Nina.

Nina was Olivia's mare, her aunt had bought her for Olivia when the girl had discovered a love for riding. Unfortunately, Nina had to stay on the island all year long, even when Olivia was back in France, but her aunt Carla always took great care of Nina.

After applying makeup, Olivia tiptoed downstairs, not wanting to wake her aunt so early. She silently ate her breakfast, and before leaving, left a note for her aunt in case she woke up in Olivia's absence.

The walk to Bright Fields stables from Carla's house was not a particularly lengthy one, but still long enough that when halfway through Olivia realized it was colder than she'd expected, she decided not to go back. Having spent the year back in the french city of Toulouse, Olivia hadn't thought of the fact that it would be much colder on the island. When the stables came into view, Olivia smiled softly; every year, returning to the stables felt the same. It felt like coming home.

Despite it being very early in the morning, the stables were already animated by many riders and their horses. Olivia looked around to see if she could spot her friends Becky and Jade, or perhaps Susie or Marcus. Or Pin.

It was no secret to those who knew her that Olivia had always harboured feelings for the boy. The two of them were friends, or at least as close as you could get to being friends with Pin. He rarely talked to anyone, and Olivia's shyness didn't help much. Still, Olivia had been on the island every summer she could remember, and Pin had been there every summer; he was the one she'd known the longest; and she liked to think they had a certain complicity; an unspoken bond. But that was mostly wishful thinking on her part and romance books warping her perception.

"Livie!" Olivia heard from behind her. When she spun around, she wasn't surprised to find Becky and Jade, the former already hugging her tightly.

"Hello Becky," Olivia answered as she wrapped her arms around the smaller girl.

"And Jade, of course, I'm so happy to see the both of you!"

"We're so happy to see you Liv! We missed you so much," replied Jade.

The three girls conversed and caught up on what had happened to the others during their time apart. Eventually, Olivia bid the two girls goodbye so she could go tell Sam, the owner of the stables, that she had arrived, and then could finally go see Nina.

"Olivia! Welcome back, how have you been?" Asked Sam when Olivia greeted her.

"Good enough," replied Olivia. "Just wanted to pass by and see how you were, and of course let you know I was back."

"I'm good yeah thank you, I don't wanna keep you waiting, I'm guessing you wanna see Nina," chuckled Sam.

"Yes, I've missed her so much, thank you, Sam, see you later!" With that, Olivia headed out, passing two other girls on her way; Mia and Susie. Olivia knew them both well enough, though she had to admit she and Mia didn't get along so well. Olivia decided she would catch up with Susie later on when she wasn't with Mia, and settled on simply waving to the girls at the moment. Upon noticing Olivia, Susie smiled brightly and waved back, whilst Mia settled on a small and unconvincing wave. Moments later, Olivia ran right into someone, effectively knocking herself over.