𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄: 𝐏𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐞𝐭

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐄'𝐑𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐄'𝐑𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇... whatever it is we're about to do." Bruce tapped on the screen of the Cradle before turning back to Charlie, who lay on her stomach.

"Promise?" Charlie groaned. Her cheek was smushed against the table as the tiny laser microblades slowly, painstakingly, sealed her skin back together. Just yesterday it had been Clint who laid here, healing a bullet wound in his side.

Charlie didn't have nearly as cool of a story.

She got sliced up by some glass.

"Have I ever let you down?" Bruce raised an eyebrow. The clouds outside the window floated past them as the quinjet flew through the midday sky towards Africa. No matter how many times she rode on the quinjet, she never got bored of the view.

"Actually, that time when we played charades a couple weeks ago," Charlie reminded him. She craned her neck slightly, trying get a better look at him without moving her back. "You were absolute shit-"

"Language," came a deep voice from the doorway.

Charlie didn't even have to move her head to know who it was. "Hi, Pops," she mumbled.

She felt his cool, calloused hand brush her hair off her sweaty neck and she closed her eyes, soaking in the feeling. Steve squatted down so he was eye level with her, a small smile on his face.

"You doing okay?" Tony stood behind them, his big brown eyes flickering along the skin of her back, watching the tiny lasers do their job. He had a single stitch above his left eyebrow from last night's fight, covered in a tiny white bandage. Charlie noticed he was holding his hands behind his back.

He was nervous.

"Never better," Charlie forced a grin. "Guess you got what you wanted, Dad. I couldn't go on this mission even if I wanted to."

"You can be our backup next time, doll," Steve promised. He brushed a stray strand of hair out of her eyes, rubbing his thumb against her cheek. "The lab isn't going anywhere. Besides, this isn't an official mission. It's more of a..."

"Spontaneous meetup?" Tony offered.

"Why do I have a feeling that it's gonna be a lot more violent than that?" Charlie winced. "Ow. My foot just fell asleep."

"Don't worry about us, kiddo." Tony assured her, seeing right through the change in the subject. "Just trust the process. You'll be good as new in a couple hours."

Steve's lips were pursed as he watched his daughter's skin slowly stitch itself back together. "Are we sure this is a good idea?" he asked Tony as Charlie's eyes fell shut, still sleepy from the drugs. "To have her on the quinjet while we do this?"