Alternative Ending: 2.2

Start from the beginning

But silently, she had always wondered who they were, what they looked like. One of them must have had red hair. Were they kind, soft? Who did she get her character traits from? The only information she had was that she was born in Stalingrad, so that's where they must have lived. 

''Who are you?'' she bit at the figure, very tense. He played games with her, games she wasn't interested in. The only thing she wanted was that damn Stone. She needed to bring her wife back, whatever it took.

The black cape of the mysterious man floated around his body, covering his head and preventing the duo from seeing his face. His voice echoed in their ears, like it wasn't spoken from the outside but from the inside. ''Consider me a guide. To you, and to all who seek the Soul Stone.''

''Oh, good,'' Natasha answered poisonously but calm. ''You tell us where it is. Then we'll be on our way.''

''Ah, liebchen.'' He stepped closer, his face finally in the light. ''If only it were that easy.''

Natasha sucked in a sharp breath. She knew a lot about SHIELD history. Simply because she wanted to know it, wanted to know what the foundations of the organization were. And this guy in front of them was tied into that tightly. Natasha knew enough about the Red Skull to scrunch up her nose in distaste.

She didn't even wonder how he ended up here. He must have messed with the Stones again. 

The Red Skull took them further up the mountain and onto a carved-out platform. It ended in a cliff, which Natasha almost didn't dare to look over. This looked like a dead end?

''What you seek lies in front of you... as does what you fear.''

''The stone is down there,'' she muttered to herself, carefully peeking over the edge. It reached stories high, higher than any building in New York or outside of that. Terrifying, that's what it was.

All kinds of scenarios went through her head. They could probably rappel down, or they had to go back the way they came up. But then why was the Red Skull at the top if the Stone was down there? She got that answer quickly.

''For one of you.'' Red Skull said mysteriously. It had Natasha's stomach turn around. She knew there would be a catch. ''For the other... In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul, for a soul.''

''What?'' she choked out, spinning around so fast it was dangerous, but no more words came from the Red Skull. He simply floated above the ground and waited. Waited cruelly to see who could sacrifice themselves. 

Natasha met Clint's eyes. They held so much emotion. Sadness, panic, shock. She must have all of those in her eyes too. Although one thing bubbled in her chest: acceptance. She knew she was the one to do this. Even if the last thing she wanted was to die without holding her wife one last time. 

But leaving the Stone wasn't an option. They needed it. And so Natasha didn't have to think about it long. She could never let Clint jump, not with the family he had waiting for him. She had made this decision when she traveled back the first time, blessed with seeing Katya again.

She would be the one to jump.

''Clint...'' She stepped closer to a pacing Clint, hoping he'd stop and look at her. He desperately tried to find another solution, but Natasha knew there wasn't one. She wished he could see she was content with this solution. Her life for Katya's, the only way she wanted to go.

Clint shook his head swiftly, refusing to listen to her words. ''No.''

''I have to do this,'' Natasha spoke softly, her mind completely calm and at ease. This was never the ending she pictured, but it was the one that fit. ''I have to get her back, and if that means I have to jump, then so be it.''