Chapter 4

The next day at school, Sophie couldn't find Keefe at orientation. Then, she went to The Universe, and Elvin History, and she couldn't stop thinking about the day before, in the lake. On her way to lunch, she sat down next to Dex, and asked, "Hey, where's Keefe?"

"Detention, remember? I thought you had it too, from the 'The Great Foster Alchemy Incident'." 

Keefe had dubbed her Alchemy explosion that, and she rolled her eyes, but they soon widened with realization. 

"That's right! I have detention, and I'm going to be late!" She shouted Dex her thanks as she ran to detention, and she forgot which teacher she would be having it with.

Keefe stood by a desk in the detention room, ironing one of Lady Galvin's capes. Where was Sophie? Did she really not want to talk to him that badly, that she decided to skip detention? Didn't she realize she would just get more detention by doing that? 

His eyebrows furrowed in disappointment, right before a blonde girl burst through the doors, looking red faced and exhausted. 

"Sorry I was late- I forgot- got lost-"

"Another day of detention, Ms. Foster," Lady Galvin hissed.

Keefe's lips couldn't help but break into a smile at the sight of Sophie walking towards the ironing table next to him, even if her shoulders were slumped over in defeat by the detention supervisor. 

"Hey, Fos-" Keefe began.

"There will be none of that, Mr. Sencen, and you, Ms. Foster." Lady Galvin interrupted, "I don't want you two lovebirds talking nonstop and distracting the class," she spat, and pointed to a different station, next to a girl with curly brown hair, but he couldn't see the front of her face, because she was two rows in front of him. 

Keefe's face flushed with heat as he looked over at Sophie, and saw that she was blushing furiously as well. He hardly noticed the class trying to stifle their laughs. 

Keefe watched as Sophie trudged over to the ironing table a few stations away from him, and he snickered at Sophie's annoyance, which he could easily feel when she was only a few meters in front of him. 

10 minutes into detention, Lady Galvin yelled at Sophie when she kept the iron on the cape for too long, and burned it. When Keefe looked up, he saw the reason. Sophie was next to Stina, who was sneering at her from the station next to her. Instantly, he looked at her worriedly, but his strong emotion died down when he registered her emotions as annoyance, not fear or anger. She was just distracted by Stina's taunting.

"Ms. Foster, Ms. Heks, 2 more days of detention."

Keefe chuckled when he heard Sophie groan, and he stared at the back of her head for a while, before he snapped out of it and began ironing Lady Galvin's cape again. 

He rested his chin in his hands, and his eyes started to close. He jumped when he felt a paper ball whack his forehead, and he heard a giggle from in front of him. He knelt down to where the paper ball had fallen, and he opened it up to see if their was a note. Nope. 

Keefe scribbled a message anyway and threw it at Sophie's head, and she turned around, with a confused look on her face, before she grabbed the paper ball and opened it up. Keefe and Sophie began passing notes for the rest of the detention. 

Keefe: HEY!

Sophie: Hey

Keefe: I think we should start a petition to give anyone with blonde hair a get out of detention pass.

Sophie: agreed. I have detention for the next week, what about you?

Keefe: 2 more days, but I'll get more detention if you really want to see me that bad ;)

Sophie turned around and rolled her eyes at him after she read the note. 

Sophie: how do i have more detention than you? STOP THROWING THE NOTE IN STINA'S HAIR

Keefe: But it's entertaining!

Sophie: I guess. 

Sophie: THAT DIDN'T MEAN TO THROW IT IN HER HAIR AGAIN

Keefe: Really? I'm pretty sure it did.

Sophie: I'm pretty sure it didn't. 

Stina screeched as she felt a paper ball hit her head, and she whirled around and gave Keefe a dirty look when she saw him smirking. 

"Mr. Sencen, passing notes in detention? And you, Ms. Foster? Well, one more week of detention for both of you."

Sophie glared at Keefe, who was red in the face from trying not to laugh. 

When detention ended, Keefe followed Sophie to her next class. 

"Thanks a lot, Keefe."

"Why, you're welcome!"

"2 more weeks of detention for me. And at the very beginning of the term!" Sophie exclaimed, and then slapped her forehead, gaining the attention of prodigies around them. 

"Keefe!"

"Yes, madam?"

Sophie's hand slid down her face as she groaned.

"We could have just communicated telepathically."

Keefe laughed. "But passing notes is so much fun!"

"Yeah, three weeks of detention fun!"

"Three weeks with the Keefester fun!" He said, and they both stopped when she reached her class. 

"Can't wait. Now, hurry, or you'll miss your class!" Sophie said, but he saw her lips curling into a smile. 

"Yeah, but if I miss my class, I'll get detention! And I'm sure you'd-"

"GO!"

Keefe walked away dramatically, and when he looked over his shoulder, he caught Sophie watching him, but she looked away quickly, blushing.