Chapter 3

Flashback- 3 years ago (age 16)

You were waiting for a text from Eren on a Saturday evening. You were hoping that he would finally answer you after ignoring you. He's barely communicated with you for the past two weeks. You weren't sure what was up with him. His response to your texts had stopped for a couple of days. Was he angry with you? Is that really the case? You don't recall doing anything wrong. You asked him about it a few weeks ago but he just said that he was "going through some things"

Usually, he talks to you constantly about everything so you were confused about what he could possibly be going through. It must be something serious otherwise he would talk to you about it. Another possibility was that he told you that to avoid admitting he was mad at you. Having no idea what was happening irritated you. You missed talking to him every day. It just felt so bland and boring without him.

He wouldn't answer your calls. It was really frustrating. You almost wanted to just walk up to him and demand that he talk to you, but knowing him, you realized that would just frustrate him even further. Sometimes he was such an angry little fella but you usually could keep him in check.

Honestly, you should just call Hannes, Eren's legal guardian, because this was getting ridiculous. Hannes had been here since you and Eren were kids, so you were pretty close to him. He was there for Eren instead of his own father after Carla died. Grisha, his father, simply disappeared after the death of Carla. After Eren's parents left, Hannes took him under his wing. He practically raised you and Eren, he was like an uncle to you. He was good friends with Carla so he was around a lot. Hannes was Eren's only family after his parents passed away. Eren didn't have any other relatives, but Hannes was willing to take him in. Despite the fact that Hannes was not his biological father, he was more of a father to Eren than Grisha had ever been.

Even before Carla's death, Grisha had never been a good father. He was usually away on business for long periods, leaving Carla and Eren alone. He was rarely home, but when he was, he was cruel to them. He treated them as if they were an inconvenience and was cold towards them. He pretended to be a happy family and a decent guy when others were around, but Eren told you everything and you weren't fooled by him.

The Jaegers were well off and lived in a large house. Grisha was the CEO of some company. You had no idea what he did; all you knew was that he made a lot of money. Since he was the CEO he had to go on so many business trips. He spent the majority of his time in New York, which was where his headquarters was. He would only stay for a few weeks before leaving for several months. He barely spent any time with his wife and child during the little time he was home. He would spend the majority of his time in his office. He wasn't a good man at all. You were puzzled as to why Carla married such a man.

She was the polar opposite of Grisha; she was a lovely woman. She was loving, caring, beautiful, and an incredible mother. Eren felt loved only because of her. You tried your hardest to be there for Eren, but nothing could ever replace a mother's love. Her death had an impact on you as well. You treated her as if she were your second mother. She was a better parent to you than your parents ever were.

You and Eren both had terrible parents in common. While Eren only had one horrible parent, you had to deal with both. They didn't abuse you; they just weren't there for you. They barely acknowledge you as their daughter. They were preoccupied with their work and paid no attention to you. While having the freedom to do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted had some advantages, it also had some disadvantages. You wished your parents would say no to you. You wished that they were concerned about your well-being. You wished they were worried enough about you to say no. But they didn't. They couldn't care less. You could probably leave for three days without telling them where you were and they wouldn't notice. It's not like they were at home in the first place. You wouldn't often see them during the day. From the time you left school until you went to bed for the night, they were gone.