edge of great

We were in hot shit

We were in hot shit.

Julie was in hot shit for sneaking out and I was in hot shit for going along with it and letting her.

Julie and I were silent the entire way home, in hopes of dad just dropping it. It didn't work well. As soon as we started walking up the sidewalk to our house he said, "Guys, we need to talk."

"So, after skipping school, missing a test, you decided to sneak out even though I told you to go to your room and study?" He asked Julie and then turned to me. "And you encouraged it?"

"I know. I'm sorry." We both said in unison.

"You keep saying that. If you'd just....let me in, I could've been excited about tonight instead of having this conversation we all hate. Why didn't you guys tell me you were in a band?" He asked. I think that's what he's more upset about.

"It all just happened so fast. These last couple of weeks have changed our lives." Julie started.

"When I play music, I feel so much closer to mom. I know Julie feels the same." I continued.

"And I love that. You know I do. But your tia's right. School needs to come first." Dad started. This was directed at Julie. My grades are honor roll level.

"I know, but without the band, we would've never made it back into the music program. They played with us when we were trying to earn back our spots." Julie replied.

"They did?" Dad asked.

"I think this is our thing, Dad." I backed her up.

"Well, I'd be a jerk of a dad if I took it away from you. Look, If you're gonna stay in this band, you need to keep up with school." He said to Julie and then turned to me. "And you need to keep her on track. Don't encourage her to sneak out." And then he looked at both of us. "And you need to keep me in the loop."

This is not how I expected this to go.

"Really?" Julie asked.

"Yeah." He breathed with a soft smile.

Julie and I both engulfed him into a hug. I'm so thankful for him.

"Hey, so that lady at your show, she was like, some sort of manager, right? Could have been a big deal?" Dad asked.

"Who knows? Hopefully she'll get to see us play again." Julie started.

"Which we will tell you about." I assured with a smile.

"Oh yeah, you will. Cause if I ever catch either of you sneaking out again, or if your grades slip, I'm gonna pull the plug. Or whatever it is that makes those holograms work." He paused. "Do I ever get to meet these guys?"

No.

"Probably not, they don't even live here. It's kind of confusing." Julie started.

"Being seen really isn't their thing." I finished.