bright

Julie and I sat in the garage for a moment

Julie and I sat in the garage for a moment. We needed it.

"We did that." Julie smiled.

"Yes, we did." I replied with a smile.

We found our passion again.

All of the sudden, Flynn walked in. Her and Julie were having some deep conversation. I excused myself to give them privacy. I needed to call Lydia.

As I was walking out and started to dial her number, I felt like I was being watched. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to see the three boys trying to act sly. Great.

"Hi, guys." I said trying to sound casual.

"Hi, Rory." Reggie replied, trying act normal.

"You know, curiosity killed the cat, right?" I replied.

"Well, we're already dead." Luke shrugged. I walked into that one. I rolled my eyes and walked away. I had a feeling they listened to Julie and I sing.

I went back to what I was doing and called Lydia.

"Lydia, I did it!" I exclaimed when she answered the phone. In retrospect, I should've been more specific.

"Did what?" She asked confusedly.

"I sang."

"Rory, what the hell? I'm so proud of you! Did Julie too?"

"Yeah, it was a song mom wrote. I think she wrote it for us. I um, think I'm going to try and get my spot in the music program back."

"You should! I miss watching you perform." She let out. I smiled to myself.

After a little while we hung up and Julie and I caught up. Flynn talked her into getting her spot back too. I'm glad we're doing this together.

Lydia was going to meet me at school and go talk to Mrs. Harrison with me.

When we all walked into the music room to talk to her and explained our situation she was happy for us. She really was, but it was out of her control. We were too late.

"Believe me, Julie, Rory, I think it's wonderful that you sang again. I prayed for this moment for almost a year. But it's too late."

"What if you just hear them? You know they're amazing." Flynn tried.

"It wouldn't matter. Two new students start tomorrow. There's only-" She went on but I cut her off.

"So many spots, and if we don't participate, we're out. We know."

"I did everything I could to keep you guys here this year, but Principal Lessa was very clear that you guys had your last chances. You'll have to reapply next semester." She told us.

I hate this. We finally get our act together and it backfires. I understand where she's coming from and I appreciate her fighting for us, it's just so unfortunate.