Stormy Weather pt. 1 - Grow As We Go

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

You took a deep breath, feeling somewhat disappointed, but trying not to let it show. "It's okay. I understand. Things happen."

The associate gave you an apologetic smile. "Would you like me to get a fitting room ready for you?"

You nodded. "That would be great, yes, thank you."

--

As luck would have it, despite the dresses being labeled as being the same size, one was a better fit. The associate helping you also found something you liked just as much and you wound up returning one of the mixup items you ordered and purchasing the second dress instead. Before you left, you recalled Charlie needing dress socks so you picked up a couple of pairs for him as well.

You were checking out when your phone rang. Charlie. You had completely forgotten to text back.

"Honey, I am so sorry."
He chuckled lightly on the other end of the line. "It's okay, sweetheart. I assumed you probably got caught up handling everything with your dress."

You could hear him gulping down a beverage. "How'd it go? Did you find what you needed?"

"There was an issue with what I ordered, but long story short--I have two dresses now."

"Two of the same?"
"Two different dresses."
"Oh. Hmm."
"I thought, at the very least, I have a backup for the trip."
"That's true."
"We might want to go to dinner or something."
"We might."
"Are you eating?"
"Mno."

"No?"

You could tell he was quickly trying to chew. "Charlie?"
"Mmhmm."
"What are you eating?"
"Mnahpeeza."

"Not pizza, huh?" You giggled. "Well, it sounds like it's some pretty good 'not pizza' to me."
"Henry was hungry again and I was too so we stopped to grab a couple of slices."

"Have a bite for me."
"Do you want me to bring home a couple of pieces for you? Have you eaten anything?"

You'd be lying if you said you didn't love the touch of worry he had in his voice, always concerned you had what you needed. It was the dad in him.

"I had the bagel with you and Henry this morning."
"Sweetheart."
"I'm okay, I promise."

"Well, whatever you want for dinner--name it and it's yours."

"See how Henry feels about deli or Thai?"
"A woman after my own heart."

You made sure your bag was closed and peered out the large department store windows. "The rain looks like it's letting up a little so I may try to sprint for the subway."

"Just take a cab, baby."

"Charlie, you know as well as I do, I'm going to get even more drenched waiting for a cab than I would running for the train."

He sighed. "Just be careful for me?"
"Always."

--

By the time you made it home, just as you predicted, you were soaked to the bone. Charlie's sixth sense about your arrival must have kicked in because he was waiting by the door. The warm smells of chocolate, cream, and cinnamon wafted through their air, filling your nostrils.