5. Reading the Note at Cromwell Palace

Even though our island has a minute population, there's always traffic through town. It's probably illegal, but we always just drive down to the jetty and drive across the planks all the way down Figure 8. Besides, it feels like there's not many things we do that aren't illegal.

We roll up to the big gates of Crank Palace and I punch the code in. We leave our bikes leaning against the security shed, hop on our boards and skate down the perfectly tarmacked driveway, beers in hand.

It's a cloudy day, but the warmth and humidity of the Outer Banks air flows along my body like silk, my wavy brown hair tangling up in the breeze. I close my eyes and inhale, before joining in with Pope and Kie's exclaims of excitement.

I've been told I have a problem with daydreaming. "Away with the fairies", John B always calls me. My wonderful fantasy is abruptly stopped when I crash directly into one of the big birch trees lining the Cromwell driveway.

"Ow! Fuck. Not again!"

"You idiot. Daydreaming again, Minnie?" Pope teases me.

"That looked like something out of Looney Tunes. You're such a clutz." Kie laughs, peering over at me groaning and holding my foot on the grass.

They join me, laying under the tree and laughing.  I hate them, but I can't help loving them too. The sun hits Pope's deep and sweaty skin, making him look like a perfectly crafted dew drop. Kie's surf-bruised limbs and oak eyes make her look like some ethereal forest creature. Shit, I sound so sappy. Like I said, I'm slightly "away with the fairies".

"Hey, what was that you stuffed in your pocket before we left?" Kie asks.

I sit up, remembering the note and pulling it out of my pocket.

"Oh, it's just from Kit. Probably telling me he's gonna be home late or some crap." I unravel the crumpled bill and read it.

"Going on a boat trip w the boys this weekend. Rafe says I've gotta go if we wanna make it up to him.
So you're coming too.
No arguing, I've already told Dean.
Tell your friends plans are off. Especiallly JJ."

-K

"What is it?" Pope asks.

I sigh and fall back into the grass covering my face with my hands. I take a swig of my beer before handing the letter to them.

"Oh shit." Pope laughs under his breath.

"Yup."

"Well you better hope that bitch Sarah's not going too. She'd probably try to throw you off the boat." Kie says.

As you can tell, she hates Sarah, after their little best friend break up last year at the kook academy.

"No, thank God. There's no way Rafe would bring her. She's probably gonna be prancing around the island in a golf cart with Topper."

"Well, good luck M. I don't think we can save you from this one. Just make sure you don't fuck Rafe?"

"Are you crazy? I'll fuck him up, but I would never fuck him. I'm not that much of a pushover, Kie."

"Alright, 'hot girl' " Pope teases back.

I should pack for a long weekend.