2. Uncle Dean

I don't remember much of my parents. My dad was an abusive dick, it's horrible that one of my only memories of him is when he broke off a piece of my wooden train rail set and hit my mom across the face with it. Luckily my mom was brave enough to get him arrested and sent to jail, where he cowardly hung himself with his shoelaces. Mom's younger brother, Uncle Dean, moved in to help with me and Kit. She wasn't in the house much and after a while we didn't see her at all. Turns out she followed Dad's suit; the police found her dead body on the south side of the beach, with a bullet from Uncle Dean's shooting rifle through her skull. Maybe she wasn't as strong as I thought. Kit was 8, and I was 3.

"Uncle Dean is a good man, a better parent than Mom or Dad would have ever been" , Kit always tells me.

I know he is, he's the kind of man that calls you kiddo and scruffs up your hair to show affection. He and Mom grew up comfortably, hence why he wanted to send me to the kook academy. Dad fucked it up for their family when he took most of their money and lost it on bets and poker. Most weekends he would run off to Vegas with JJ's dad, and return only with single dollar bills, as change from some strip club, and a heavy stench of cheap scotch all over him.

A "salesman", Dean calls himself, but me and Kit both know he's some dodgy, rich mainland kook's errand boy. Most of the time I feel safe with him, but he makes it hard when some days he's parading across the marsh in a yacht, and other days he's buying single cigarettes off homeless men on the cut. Plus, he's literally only 4 years older than Kit, and 9 older than me, so that explains itself.

He knocks on my bedroom door, and I peep my head round my bathroom door to see him in an all black suit and navy silk tie. His face is slightly grey and you can see his dark stubble just about growing back on his jaw.

"Morning Kiddo." he says, with an obviously hungover voice.

"Listen, I'm probably gonna be gone for a couple of days. The Boss has some huge amount of stock on the mainland he's almost sold, apparently he needs my expert skills finishing the deal."

"Uh huh," I chuckle, "Your finest expertise".

"You know I'm a professional. There's a reason he wants me over there so often." He obviously notices the drops of my blood on the white floor boards, so he walks into my bathroom, where I am sat on the toilet bandaging my foot.

" He obviously notices the drops of my blood on the white floor boards, so he walks into my bathroom, where I am sat on the toilet bandaging my foot

"Oh great. What did you do this time Mins?"

"I, um, broke my...jewellery box. Last night. I forgot about it and then stepped on it when I got up".

We both turned to look at the shattered beer bottle on the floor. I snorted under my breath and he turned back to me, adjusting his tie.

"Yeah... I can see that." he said, aware that Kit was outside my room listening. "Right. I'll see you in a few days then kid. Don't break anymore jewellery boxes then." He sniggered and then kissed my forehead as he walked out.

"Bye, Uncle D".