Sophie cried, "No, because I don't laugh at the expense of my friends!" But she was trying to keep a smile from her face. 

"Okay then," Elwin was still smiling, "let's get this burn treated, shall we?"

Elwin wrapped her leg and forearm with gauze, telling her she should go easy on it for a few hours, but it will heal quickly. He told her she could just head home and get some rest. 

Sophie didn't think she needed to go home, but school was almost already over, and she didn't want to sit through Elvin history for the next hour, so she headed towards the Leapmaster.

"Already injured on the first day, huh, Human Girl? Still craving the attention?" Sophie turned around and was disgusted at what she saw. 

Stina. Stina had a beanpole body, with frizzy brown hair, and she loved making fun of Sophie, whatever chance she got. 

Sophie kept walking towards the Leapmaster, but Stina stepped in front of her. 

"Where do you think you're going, freak?" Stina snarled.

Sophie raised her eyebrows at the name calling, and commented without realizing it, "Still name-calling like a Level 1, are we?"

Stina reddened, and Sophie did too, but she tried to play it cool. 

They both turned their heads when they heard a laugh not too far away. 

"Good one, Foster!" Sophie was relieved to see Keefe walking towards them. When had he gotten so tall? He was probably 5 inches taller than her now.

"Hey, Keefe," Sophie replied, and turned back to Stina.

"Could you move?" Sophie said, annoyed. 

"Uh- sure. Fine. See you later, dumbo," Stina called, not wanting to deal with Keefe. 

Sophie smiled. The name "Dumbo" reminded her of a movie she and her little sister, Amy, used to watch all the time when she lived with humans. 

"Hey, Keefe," She greeted him again. 

"Well, if it isn't my favorite prodigy."

Sophie rolled her eyes at the reference, and was desperate to change the subject so he wouldn't keep laughing at her.

"So, I didn't see you at orientation or lunch, where were you?" Sophie blurted. 

"Nice subject change, Foster, but I was at orientation, you weren't."

"Ohhh, that's right. I was late. I fell down the stairs." 

"WHAT?" Keefe boomed, and caught the attention of several Level 3s on their way to class. 

Sophie punched him playfully. "Shhh! I was just tired, and I fell at the bottom step."

"Oh, that's still funny," Keefe snickered in a hushed tone. 

"Yep. I have five abilities, one of which no one has ever had before, and I can't even manage to go down the stairs without falling." 

That made Keefe laugh even harder. 

"You still haven't answered my other question." Sophie added, trying to get him to stop. 

"What other question?" 

"Where were you at lunch? I specifically remember being at lunch."

"Detention."

"Detention? Already, on the first day?"

"Hey! You're one to talk! You got detention from Lady Galvin, remember?" Keefe replied, still smiling, "Hey, we can be detention buddies!"

"At least I have it tomorrow, and I didn't manage to get it before lunch!"

Keefe laughed again. 

Sophie started towards the Leapmaster. 

"Oh, wait, Foster!"

"Yes, my knight in rusty armor?"

"Well, madam," said Keefe, playing along. "Queen Biana sent me here as her loyal minstrel, to inform you that you are cordially invited to Everglen when school is over, to celebrate the beginning of the year."

That brightened Sophie's mood. "Will you be there?" 

"Yup. Excited to see me?"

"Don't get to full of yourself. Please give Queen Biana my feelings of gratitude at this prestigious invitation, and that I will be arriving at her lovely home after school."

"Yes, madam, anything else?" Keefe smirked. 

Sophie stepped forward, and hugged him around his neck. "I'm glad you're back, Keefe," she said into his shoulder. 

"Me too," is all Keefe managed to say. 

They were like that, for a while, a bit longer than Sophie expected it to last, until she pulled away, blushing.

"Well, um... See you later, Keefe," Sophie said, as she shuffled back towards the Leapmaster. 

"See you, Foster," Keefe replied as he scratched the back of his head. 

Sophie shouted, "Havenfield!" and was ushered away by the light, leaving Keefe, grinning from ear to ear, staring at the place Sophie had been only seconds before.