Chapter 10: Sorrows

I was listening to a JoBros song while reading this n thought it was a nice soundtrack so if ya want just play it on the side n read:) It's the song that Max did a cover on, When You Look Me In The Eyes.

Nathan's POV

I went to go visit Amber at the hospital. I was nervous and unsure about how I'd be able to face her. I just needed to apologize and get all of the bitterness out of the way. I knew it would be a challenge, but I have to push my problems aside and think of her well being for once.

I opened her door and she was sitting up in the hospital bed watching TV. She glanced at me and turned back to the TV. She raised her remote and flipped through the channels. She seemed so lifeless. "Hey" I said walking to her bedside.

"Hi" she replied blandly.

"How ya feeling?"

"I don't know, alive."

I dropped my head feeling like crap. Was it really necessary for her to say that? I mean come on, it's not like I told her to jump off a bridge and kill herself. Either way I was still the one to blame, partly.

I lowered her arm and slowly turned her face so she could face me. Her skin felt cold. I took her remote and pressed the buzzer for a nurse to come in. After about five minutes a nurse came rushing in. "This poor girl is freezing. Could you please get her extra sheets. What kind of hospital is this? You're supposed to keep patients alive not freeze them to death" I said.

The nurse rolled her eyes and walked out. "That wasn't necessary" Amber said as she proceeded flipping through the channels. "So what, you wanted to remain freezing?". She sighed and dropped the remote onto the bed.

"I was talking about the attitude" she replied staring blankly at the TV.

"I suppose. Could you look at me for a sec?"

She turned her head and looked at me as if she wan't in the mood. "What do you want Nathan?"

"To tell you I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was a failure as your boyfriend. I'm sorry I slept with your cousin...twice. I'm sorry that I broke your heart. I'm sorry that I've made you cry, who knows how many times. I'm sorry that I couldn't love you the way you wanted to be loved. I'm sorry that you couldn't love me the  same anymore and that I never noticed or understood why, but now I do."

"There's no need to apologize."

"I have to. I know words don't mean much, but I truly am sorry. I was the one who made you-"

"No you didn't." She said cutting me off. "I did that on my own. You don't have to say sorry because I know you are. If anyone should be saying sorry it should be me. I stuck bedside you even though I was no longer in love with you. I lied to both myself and you. We wasted six months together when you could've been happy with someone else."

"And you could've been happy with Jay."

"No, Jay and I wouldn't have fallen for each other. We only got close, because he was trying to bring us back together."

"So, are you guys like...together now or something?"

"I don't know. I guess we are. I'm not sure why he'd still want to be with me after finding out I'm some crazy girl with a low self esteem and a lot of baggage from my past."

"Speaking of your past, why didn't you tell me about all your issues?"

"Because I thought I was done with them."

"How could you just think your done with them?"

"I don't know Nathan, I don't know. I don't know anything anymore; like my purpose in life."

"Your purpose in life is to keep the world spinning like everyone else. To inspire and leave a legacy. You were created to make a difference no matter how small. You choose which ever paths you want  and you make the most out of them."

"You make it sound so easy."

"Maybe because it's that simple. It'll be hard to carry out the tasks you want to take, but what you get out of it will hopefully be worth it all."

She smiled slightly. "Ya know, your not a bad person. You've just been having a hard time. You started treating me right eventually. Why do you think I loved you? Sure we had our ups and downs, yet it never managed to keep me away from you. That's how great of person you are."

"Really?"

"Really" she replied with an even bigger smile.

I bent down and hugged her. She hugged me back and we stayed like that for half a minute. "Hey, where's that nurse with the sheets?" I asked. "I don't know" she replied. I detached myself from her and said "Wow, maybe I shouldn't have given her the attitude. I'll be back in a jiffy with your sheets". 

Amber's POV

Nath left the room in search for extra sheets. The talk I had with him made me feel so much better. It felt good to know that we were back to good terms. It was nice being able to have a nice little chat with him. It's something that I've missed doing, but I know it slowly kills him inside now that I'm with Jay, if I still am. I hope I didn't freak him out. Nath seemed pretty chill about it. It's most likely because he felt bad for me and thought it was his fault I tried to commit suicide.

He came back to the room with the extra  sheets and a huge smile on his face. I thanked him as he handed them to me. He kept one to himself and and pulled up a chair beside me. He sat down, covered himself, and watched TV with me. He ended sleeping at the hospital that night.