Alternative Ending: 1.5

Start from the beginning

She had to earn her place in the team again. At least, that's how it felt.

''We have enough Pym Particles for two test runs,'' Scott said to the group, hands on his hips.

''I'll do it,'' Katya spoke loudly without hesitation. The first step in making amends. And she'd try anything to get Natasha back, even be a test subject.

All eyes turned to her. It was the first time she had spoken since the meeting started, and honestly, they had forgotten she stood there. 

They shuffled uncomfortably until Tony said, ''Are you sure? There are risks.''

''I said I'll do it. Let's go.''

And so she found herself on top of the platform, clenching and unclenching her fists anxiously. Her white suit wasn't that comfortable, but Tony said she needed it to survive the Quantum Realm, whatever that was. 

The heroes on the ground looked up at her nervously, especially Clint and Steve, but Rhodey had a frown on his face too. They knew why Katya did this, offering to go. But they didn't comment because they couldn't stop her anyway.

The glass underneath Katya's feet would give away within a couple seconds, sucking her into another dimension. The thought of it made her nauseous, sweat gathering in her palms. 

Bruce pushed some buttons and flipped switches on the small control panel. Everyone had gathered around him, their hearts beating fast. ''Alright, Katya,'' he started. She took this as a sign to close her helmet, only leaving a small visor to look through. ''We're going in three, two, one.''

You know that sensation when you dream you're falling into a bottomless pit? That's what it felt like when the ground caved in and Katya fell away from Earth. She didn't feel her body get smaller, but because of her surroundings, she knew. Lots of weirdly shaped things flew past her, until she found herself in some sort of tunnel system, each one ending in two or more branches.

Lucky for her, Tony had mapped out her path and her suit steered her in the right direction on its own. Katya wanted to close her eyes, but she couldn't, she had to look. Left, right, another right, until a bright light overtook her senses and the falling stopped. 

Her feet landed on solid ground so unexpectantly, her legs couldn't hold her up. She fell to her knees, hands automatically grabbing to hold onto something. And what she grabbed wasn't anything odd, just a desk, but where the desk was placed, now that was odd.

The helmet from her suit retracted and slowly Katya stood, turning in her spot in disbelief. This was Stark Tower. No- the Avengers Tower. This room was the one she had shared with Natasha during their time here. No doubt it was the same.

On Natasha's bedside table the gun Katya had given to her for her birthday. Slowly, she picked it up, wrapping her hands around the molded handle and reading the inscription she knew would be there.

я люблю тебя.

I love you. 

Tears gathered in her eyes as she stormed out the room, calling her fiancée's name loudly and without shame. Katya didn't have much time before Bruce would pull her back. But she needed to see her, needed to hear her.

Think, Katya, where did she go that morning? 

The gym. Of course. The little clock on her nightstand said six AM, meaning Natasha was in the gym, always starting her day with a workout. 

Katya ran and ran, the time ticking away, holding onto the gun tightly as it threatened to slip out of her hand. Only a couple more turns, the beeping on her wrist intensifying and speeding up. ''Natasha!''