Chapter 6 - Taking Precautions

Adam closed the kitchen door behind him and stepped into the hallway. That way, Claudia would have time to get to the back stairs without being seen by her mother. Without his interference she would already be in her room, preparing for the start of an online gaming event, and he didn't want to be responsible for her missing out.

He was starting to think that this whole family was just a little strange, but he brushed it aside. There were probably things his parents did that anybody else would think was weird. Things he never even thought about, even. So he wasn't going to judge anyone else for their quirks. He just wanted to do what he was being paid for without ruffling any feathers, and maybe get to see Claudia smile along the way.

"Did you forget something?" he asked, seeing Mrs Cartwright as he had expected inside the front door. "Do you need–"

"Nothing important," she answered with a lightning-fast smile, holding up something small and metallic from the pocket of another coat on the rack. "I'll be out of your hair in two minutes. Did you two finish the cupcakes already?"

"Yes, they were amazing," Adam nodded with a smile, and wondered why that was the first question. Then he remembered that the cakes had been intended to distract Lorelei so she didn't notice her mum leaving. "Oh, but that's okay. Lorelei is talking to her toys, I don't think she'll make a fuss if you leave again. She might not have heard you come back." Technically the words were a lie; Lorelei was probably talking to her sister right now, apologising for an imagined slight. Her voice sounded a little excited through the wall, even if he couldn't make out the words. But he felt that in the circumstances, he shouldn't say anything to hint to Mrs Cartwright that Claudia was back already.

"That's good. And there's one more thing I think I should tell you. Some of the previous babysitters I have retained have voiced concerns about her behaviour, although they were unable to point to anything specific. Therefore I have looked into alternative methods of reinforcing good behaviour. I have found reference to a plant known to the indigenous people of this area as Saint Jeremy's Root. Its root, when brewed as a tea, can reinforce a natural sense of duty. For a child like Lorelei, I believe that it would ensure that she complies with any instruction given by a responsible adult. In essence, the tincture of this herb may make a person considerably more likely to behave appropriately and to follow responsible instructions." This time she gave a real smile, and her pride in this solution was obvious.

Adam was less than convinced. He couldn't imagine what must be going through someone's mind to consider drugging their own children. Surely it would be better to set a good example, and if really necessary to punish bad behaviour. But he wasn't about to argue. If he kicked up a fuss he might be sent home, and then Claudia would be stuck looking after her little sister on the first day of the competition. There was no way that was fair. He decided that he would check up on the legality of this herb later, and look up any side effects that might dissuade Mrs Cartwright from offering any narcotic tea for the use of her daughter's future babysitters. But for now, he had to avoid making a fuss.

"Well, I don't think that should be necessary," he said with a shrug. "She's been well behaved so far, and I don't think I would have much trouble persuading her to behave. Besides, I don't really know how to make tea, not without–"

"Oh no, it's fine," she dismissed his objections with a haughty wave. "Besides, I think that sometimes young men might also need a little incentive to do the work they're being paid for. I've heard of babysitters who will ignore the children in their care while they spend a whole evening on the phone, or watching inappropriate videos. I'm sure you are more responsible than that, so you won't mind me taking a little insurance. You see, I have created a concentrated form of the St Jeremy's root tea, which I use in making my special cupcakes. That should ensure both the good behaviour of my daughter, and your own compliance with our agreement."

Adam stared in disbelief. This was something he would never even have thought of; it sounded more like the monologue of a movie villain than a suburban housewife talking to the babysitter. He wanted to tell her she was crazy, but he didn't even know where to start. And now she was taking a breath ready to continue talking, which she did as soon as she saw some sign of understanding in his expression.

"You've had at least ten minutes since eating the cake, I expect, so I can be certain you will follow my directions to the letter. You will not neglect my daughter, and you will not hurt her. You will do your best to keep her happy and entertained, you will not take liberties with my hospitality, and you will ensure that I return to find the house as clean and tidy as it is now. And furthermore, you will not make a fuss about the lengths I have to go to in order to protect my family. This is entirely reasonable, so don't worry about it anymore. Just do the job I am paying you for, and I will see you later this evening."

With that she turned back to the door and went outside again. Adam still wanted to argue, but he knew he shouldn't. He wanted to be a good babysitter, and almost everything she'd said had been something he was planning to do anyway. Keeping a child happy was his duty as a babysitter, so there really was no reason to argue.

He could still have worried about the drug interfering with Lorelei's development, or any other possible side effects. But he realised before he's taken one step that she wouldn't be in any danger. She hadn't actually eaten her cake, she'd given it to Claudia. That meant there was nothing else to worry about. Adam heard the sound of a car driving away again outside, smiled at his deduction, and then returned to the kitchen to see what he had missed.

He could be sure now that the rest of the day would go without a hitch.

Author's note: So, who saw that coming? Does it feel believable?