The Golden Weapon

Dusk fell upon the horizon, the last rays of light disappearing over the mountainside. Tiny white specks spread across the dark blanket of night over all of Ninjago, and not a peep was heard. Not a peep since ninja were very stealthy. Three shadows that actually appeared to be the night as they crept along the monastery, crawling on rooftops and finding a secret entrance into the quarters.

          Sensei Wu's snores filled the room as the three stealthy ninjas bounded from one plank to another, checking to make sure there were no signs of him waking up. They kept going to the next rooms, looking around for any precautions. They eventually came across a teen around their age, and they observed him from their positions, weapons out and ready.

          Kai brushed his teeth begrudgingly in front of his mirror, clearly deep in thought. He was already dressed in his pajamas, just about ready to go to bed, but he was itching to know more about what Sensei Wu told him earlier, about learning Spinjitzu.

          My advice is for you to get some sleep, Kai recounted, distinctly hearing his teacher's frail voice.

          "Oh yeah? Well, take this!" he said, slashing the air with his toothbrush at no one in particular. One of the ninjas silently descended from above, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

          "And this!" Kai exclaimed again, pretending to point a sword at an invisible enemy. He was making a fool of himself at this point, and the other ninja could see it, too. With a few last kicks and punches, he tried spinning, only to finally notice that he was completely surrounded. Surprised, he recoiled, now understanding the gravity of the situation.

          "Oops..." he muttered.

          The intruders pulled out their weapons, ready to attack him. Thinking fast, Kai shoved the toothbrush into one of their mouths, which they spat out, only for it to hit his comrade in the head. With them temporarily distracted, Kai escaped through the wooden slats stabilizing the roof, but he was intercepted.

          He moved out of the way when one ninja aimed a flying kick at him, but they missed and fell, yelling as he did so. Kai laughed at his failed attempt, only to get smashed through the roof as his teammate hurdled into him.

          He went flying, the monastery appearing to be upside-down for moments before tumbling onto the hard ground. He hit the secret switch inside the statue of the golden dragon that activated the training yard, and the intruders came face to face with swinging bags, attacking dummies, and spinning columns.

          They didn't realize fast enough, however, and they were knocked over rather quickly. When they stood up, Kai began wrestling them, and they landed blows on him, punches, kicks, jabs, but he was able to deflect or dodge some of their attacks.

          Over the commotion they were making, they heard someone yell, "Stop!"

          The three ninjas quickly stood up straight and bowed. "Yes, Sensei," they replied politely in unison. Okay, now Kai was getting really confused. Then it clicked.

          "Wait a minute!" he started, walking forwards. "They're your students too?" His teacher blinked slowly, nodding his head.

          "This was my final test, wasn't it?" he realized, the dawn of understanding finally coming down on him. His thoughts were quickly interrupted, though.

          "Woah, woah, woah!" one of his 'students' said, and Kai took note of his high-pitched voice. He chuckled uncertainly. "You never said anything about a fourth. It's always three. Three blind mice, three musketeers, three—"