Chapter 41 - A Dealer's Wedding

Start from the beginning

We all looked at Shane with expectant looks, but the China man remained unmoved as he and his sister shared a message through their eyes.

Charlie reached for my hand and squeezed it, "Please just trust him for my sake and Lola's."

Smart man.

He knew that I wouldn't question him when he involved them. I sent him a look to show that this conversation was not over.

"So what do I do, Penny?" I turned my attention to my stepbrother and grinned.

"Put on a tux. We have a wedding to attend." I stood up from the chair and poured myself a glass of juice, not trusting myself to stomach more than that.

"Not to be a Debby downer, but what happens if the plan doesn't sail through?"

I downed the glass in one swift gulp, "We get out of there alive and find a way to contact my grandfather or Marcel."

"So, how was your trip to the Bahamas?"

I was saved from answering Charlie's question, but I think my face gave away my answer as Chloe walked back into the room.

"Sorry kids, but you lot are going to the estate without me. I'll join you later. I have a deal to uphold."

She walked up to us and kissed the forehead of her children and me. She slapped Danny on the cheek and kissed it after whispering harshly into his ear.

"Take care." Danny's emotionless face couture to one of fear, but he quickly schooled it and nodded while she walked out of the room.

"Are you going to tell us what she meant? Or do we survive today before we get the answer out of you?" I cocked my head to the side, giving him my undivided attention.

He shook his head negative. Shane sighed and gripped his shoulder, "If we come out of this alive, promise me that no harm comes to my sister."

Another silent message passes through them, and I observe it all with a small smile.

My best friend took this opportunity to whisper in my ear, "If you keep smiling like that, I'm going to start thinking that you are a spawn of Joker."

"Oh, you have no idea." Then I turned my attention to the men before us.

"It's a good day to die, gentlemen, but just so we're clear. If I get a single drop of blood on me, Chloe will have my head on a spike, adopted daughter or not."

Charlie gave me a grin. She knew when it came to handling the people of the empire, you can't expect blood to not be shed. She has had her fair share of it already.

Danny walked in the direction of a guest room to go pull on a tux while Shane followed him.

"So, how was it?" Charlie wasted no time in interrogating me.

I rolled my eyes, "Babysitting a six-year-old is not as hard as you think it is."

"Right, and does that six-year-old bring a small blush to your face?" She raised a brow while I furrowed my brows.

"Are you sure my stepbrother didn't bang your head on the wall while he took you on it? I mean, you do know that I am wearing makeup, right?" I resisted the urge to laugh as she glared at me.

"I thought we agreed to not lie to each other unless the situation was deemed necessary."

I shrugged, "We did, and I would not like to wallow in my non-existent love life."

"Right," She dragged the word while she narrowed her eyes in my direction.

Danny saved me from this conversation as he walked back in a white tux with Shane trailing behind him.

"Would you take offence if I said I wanted to rip the clothes off your groom?" Charlie asked as she focused her attention on Danny while licking her lips.

I resisted the urge to gag, "Have at it, sister, but I think you'd have to wait till we get back."

I looked around. One person was missing from this group of ours. My carelessness landed her where she is, and I will get her out.

We walked out of the house into the heat of the Bahamas weather and began making our way to the Griffin estate.

There was security detail everywhere to prevent unwanted guests, but they didn't know that the guest of honour would make his appearance, whether we liked it or not.

♤♤♤♤

Who likes Peyton's character development?

What do you think Shane is hiding?

Where did Chloe go?