Chapter 03

Monday

    11:04 AM @ Northern Light High School - History

    "Class, attention please. Attention! Class!" Ms. Banks yelled to the chattering students. "Thank you." She said when the class had calmed down. "We have a new student today. Her name is Cherise, she is from Seattle. Come in please."

    The teacher turned to the door and everyone in the class did, too, including me. Cherise walked in our classroom. She had green eyes and brown wavy hair up to her collarbone. She wore a white t-shirt with a bunch of words written on it, dark blue skinny jeans and red Converse. She also had glasses on. Black framed. But she didn't look like those nerdy kids. Not even close. She was pretty.

    "Please tell us something about yourself." Mrs. Banks said.

    "N-no, thank you." She shook her head no slowly.

    "Please Ms. Janes." Mrs. Banks insisted, trying to keep the fake smile on her face.

    "I -"

    "Please." Ms. Banks almost shouted. Wow, why couldn't she just leave the poor kid alone?

    "A-alright, I'm Cherise. My favourite colour is aqua green." It was obvious that she was uncomfortable.

    "Thank you, Ms. Janes. Please take a seat right in front of Ms. Smith."

    Cherise walked awkwardly to her seat. She set her bag down and took out her history textbook. I wanted to talk to her really bad but I stopped myself, knowing that I was caught talking to the new girl in the middle of the lesson, we would both get in trouble, let alone get embarrassed.

    Mrs. Banks droned on, and on, and on and on about ancient Mesopotamia. As much as I loved history, Mrs. Banks was sucking the life out of it. She didn't even read the paragraphs with class. No suspense, no excitement, no anything! I looked around the classroom and saw that a bunch of students had their heads on their desks and were halfway asleep. Man, talk about boring. I started reading the pages by myself, ignoring Mrs. Banks rough, flat voice.

    "Alright, let's stop there on page 37." She only got to 37? I was already at page 41 reading about the Mesopotamian trading. Mrs. Banks slammed the book on her wooden desk, making the students halfway asleep, or really are asleep, jump up from their seats. "I want you guys to read the whole Mesopotamia chapter and start your new project. For this project, you might have to search the internet for more details. Your project is to write about an important event that happened in the times of Mesopotamia. Or, you can write about the Mesopotamian culture itself. How they traded, wrote, battled, anything you want. For the project, you may work by yourself or with a partner. It is due in three weeks. Make an effort. You may use the rest of class time to plan." Mrs. Banks walked behind her big desk. She took a seat and opened some books. She adjusted her glasses and took out a red pen. Was she marking? Oh well, like I care.

    I spent my time trying to think of what my project should be about. I thought about writing about the Code of Hammurabi. Hammurabi was well-recognized for his great set of laws. That option is definitely available. I could write about the kings and their power, or the warfare as well. Many ideas came in mind but I couldn't decide which one to actually use.

    I looked from my textbook for the first time, since Mrs. Banks sat down at her desk, and saw the new girl, Cherise, quietly sitting there by herself with her head down. Maybe, for once, I should work with someone, like Cherise. I've always worked by myself. I found it more efficient and more organized. But seeing Cherise by herself, not making a sound or moving, made me think it over.