chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

His father wasn't happy that he was going on vacation instead of spending the break practicing and getting ready for a game they had coming up but he couldn't bring himself to care too much. From what he knew, his mother still hadn't told him that she was leaving him but tensions were still high at home. He hadn't spoken to Nijhea since thanksgiving, Patience and he was still close though. After she had stormed out when their mom dropped the bomb at dinner, he had called her the following day and had a long conversation about how they both felt about the situation.

He wasn't really mad or upset, he was just surprised. He thought that his mother was still in love with his father but apparently he was wrong. There's only so much control a person can take, and his mother had clearly had enough. The only thing that really sucked was that his mom would have to start working more jobs once they separated since she couldn't afford to support herself, or any of them with just her job as a cook at a restaurant. He knew his father was a stubborn man, and he would demand that he get to have the apartment, which would force his mother to have to move out and get a new apartment.

After his father had cussed him out over the phone last week, he had been avoiding his calls so he really didn't know how he found out he was going on vacation but he didn't want to find out. His coach was fine with him leaving, he had just made it clear he needed to make up for it with extra practice.

"The water is so clear," Lourdes sighed from next to him, "I wish I could go swimming right now,"

An idea popped into Rashir's head, even though he doubted she would go through with it, it was worth a try. He could tell that even though they still weren't on vacation, she wasn't really relaxed. She needed to take a step back and have some fun, even if it was spontaneous.

"Let's go," He shrugged, looking at her to see her reaction. She turned to look at him, eyebrows raised and skeptical.

"What? I don't feel like going back to the house to get my swimsuit," She said as he stood up, taking his fitted cap off and tossing it on the ground.

"Then don't," He slipped his shoes off as well and her eyes widened, quickly realizing what he meant.

"Rashir, no," She shook her head, making her braids hit her face, "I am not going skinny dipping in the ocean,"

"Why not?"

"Because what if someone sees? I'll be-" She paused and looked around to see if anyone was coming, "-Naked," She whispered the last word, and he laughed at her prudeness.

"Whatchu whispering fo'? Get up," He took her hand and pulled her up, and she groaned. He pulled his shirt off, making her draw in a sharp breath at his bare chest and he chuckled, "Come on now, you know what to do right?" He looked at her expectantly until she huffed. She dropped her bag on the ground next to his shoes and his hat, moving her heels to the side, and stood back up.

She raised her eyebrows at him, "Well? Turn around," She crossed her arms, waiting for him to do what he was told.

"Why I can't watch you-"

"Rashir."

"Aight, fine," He made a show of turning around to face the water, covering his eyes as well, "See, I'm not looking at you," He said, turning around with his eyes covered.

"Turn back around!" She hissed and he sucked his teeth. He heard her struggle for a bit and tapped his foot impatiently, wanting to turn around. After a couple of moments, something dropped at his feet and he heard running noises, followed by a splash. When he opened his eyes, Lourdes was wading in the water, smirking at him as she stayed afloat.