Part 3

I entered my apartment once again after finishing up at the gym and was about to head into the shower when I got a call from Beth. I answered the call and put the phone to my ear.

"Yo" I started

"Get here now, don't ask any questions you'll understand once you come" She stated and cut the call. I haven't heard Beth sound this worried in a long time. What if something was seriously wrong though? What if one of the kids got hurt?  Instead of overthinking even more like I usually do, I decided to rush my shower today and hurry over to Beth's house. Once I parked my car, I realized that Annie and Ruby's car was also outside Beth's house. Damn what was so serious that required the three of us together.

I walked towards the door and decided to try to open it before ringing the doorbell. It opened, unsurprisingly and honestly these suburban people really got to start locking their doors, I mean what if someone just decided to break in. I walked in before looking around.

"I'm here, what's the emergency?" I yelled out as I headed towards the kitchen and stopped the moment I entered.

"What in the actual hell" I questioned as I looked over to Beth, Annie, and Ruby sitting in three chairs looking as if someone got murdered in front of them. I could see Ruby tear up a bit and that caught me off guard because Ruby was the person who rarely cried. I looked to my right to see two intimidating guys facing towards the girls while there was another dude checking out the stovetop.

There was a gun, a golden one to be specific, on the kitchen counter and for what I could tell the other to guys probably had them too. I put my hand to my back and felt that my gun was in my waistband and put my hand back down. Honestly it was getting a bit too silent and I could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

"Someone gonna tell me what's going on or can I leave?" I asked pointing towards the door and looking around the room. Finally the guy inspecting the stovetop turns around and says

"Yo, this backsplash is dope. Hey, what's that made of? Marble?..." He continued talking and I realized it was neck tattoo from the bar. I knew that that tattoo meant something and I wasn't just being paranoid. I zoned back in and Beth was talking.

"No, I don't think so." Then she looked at me and motioned subtly for me to come sit with them.

"No?"He chuckled.

"Why the fuck are we talking about your damn stove?" I whispered to Beth and before she could answer, Ruby spoke up.

"We didn't know you owned the store." Ruby said, with fear laced into her words. It suddenly hit me why we were all here and the reason why there was so much cash in the forsaken vault. We just messed with a local street gang and obviously they were back for what was theirs. Fortunately I didn't spend my money yet. I'm pretty sure it's still in my duffel bag in the trunk of my car.

Neck tattoo looked back from the stovetop and walked towards up, chuckling. "I look like some type of grocery store manage to you? Or, like, Rotary club or something?" He rhetorically questioned and looked around to his boys who laughed. Now this confused me cause even I know that wasn't funny.

"Why are they laughing? It wasn't that funny." I asked Beth. which earned me a slight kick from Annie who was sitting from behind me and I got stared daggers at me by everyone. Though neck tattoo had more of an amused expression on his face and his eyes met mines for a few seconds before he started talking again.

"No, Let's just say that we got certain arrangements with some of the local businesses. And we help each other out and whatnot. You know?"