Chapter one | Be my boyfriend?

Hyderabad, India

Hyderabad, India

"Raju," I drag his name out, sweetly.

"No." he deadpans, sipping his coffee, scrolling through his phone.

I sputter, "but you don't even know what I'm asking for!"

"Don't need to, Rashi already told me."

I turn to face and glare at the accused, who is sitting next to me with her best innocent smile.

I swear this girl cannot keep a secret to save her life!

Turning back to face Raju "But it's only for 2 weeks naaaaa." I whine, stomping my foot on the ground.

"Bhavi, I love you, but I can't claim to be your boyfriend, you know why."

Disappointed, I slump back on my chair, "yeah, yeah, your family doesn't like me." I grumble.

"We warned you to do nothing stupid, Momo." Rashi sang in a teasing manner, using the nickname given by the friend group.

I glare at her again, "I freaked out okay, my stupid brain could only find this lie! I was stressed out about finals, and the family was pushing me to get married, it was in the heat of the moment." I growled.

By the time I finished venting the last member of our group, Viki, met us at the cafeteria table.

"Lord, naku ie class istamleadhu!" Viki cries loudly. (I hate this class!)

His usual cheerful self fell, when he sensed my gloomy mood. "Hey, emindi?" (Hey, what happened?) He nudged Rashi.

"Bhavi's family is putting pressure on her to marry and is actively searching for a suitor."

"Okay, but why does she look like a wounded lamb?" he egged her on.

"She made the stupidest decision and told her family she's got a boyfriend here."

"So is that why you look like a wounded lamb? Well it's a good thing you didn't say you're married, although that would have been hilarious!" Viki laughed so hard.

"Yup, now they'd like to meet him." Rashi laughs, along.

"Oh fuck off you two, if you want to help, help. If not, don't make this any worse than it already is!" I huff, angrily grabbing the last Momo off the plate.