Chapter 25

Every parking space around the campaign office was already taken an hour before the press conference. I circled the block, finally finding a space, and walked slowly toward the office. I was in no hurry to jump into the circus. I knew it would be tense until we got through the speeches. I stepped through the mob of reporters, promising we would begin promptly at three. As I walked past the press corps, I noticed JP standing off to the side looking at me. I raised my hand to wave; I didn't see any reason to ignore him. He saw my gesture but did not wave back, and it struck me as ludicrous that I had ever contemplated a romance with someone capable of such pettiness.

    I made my way to the conference room at the back of the suite of offices we'd rented. There inside, wearing worried expressions, were Levi, Gabriel, Maggie, and Patrick, but no William; I assumed he'd show up when things got started. We took the few remaining minutes we had to get organized and then walked to the front of our headquarters, where a table was set up to face the press.

    "Bonne chance," Gabriel said to me as we walked toward the media throng. "You have done a good job of taking control."

    "Do you blame me for this mess?" I asked, knowing the walk was too short for such a conversation.

    "No, no, not at all," he said quickly. "The fault of this lies with the man who let his tongue slip, and no one else."

     I took comfort in his words as Levi and I took a seat at the table, which was now covered with microphones.

    "OK, folks," I said, greeting the assembled group. "I think we'll get started, but first I want to give you a brief description of the format for today's conference. At this moment, Maggie and Patrick from the campaign are handing out a written statement from Richard Lyon, in which he issues an apology for his outburst two nights ago. As you know, Richard made his remarks at a private party, where he was videotaped, unbeknownst to him. Then, his remarks were distributed over the Internet. This statement will be his only comment regarding that night. He will not be giving interviews, and he is not here today at the conference. In a few moments, Levi Barnes will make a statement, and when he is finished, we will take your questions."

    I was relieved to see William slip into the back of the room just as Levi prepared to address the crowd. Levi waited until everyone appeared to have a copy of Richard's statement in his hands, and then he rose from his chair. "I'd prefer to stand, if you don't mind," he said to the assembled group.

    "Let me begin by apologizing to the voters of Congressional District Fifteen for this unnecessary detour from discussing the issues I know they want to talk about. I also want to apologize for Richard Lyon's remarks. He is one of my oldest friends, and yet here today, in this very public way, I must say that I strongly disagree with his statements, and I wish I had said so more forcefully the other evening. Of course, I didn't know the conversation was being recorded. But I want to make it clear that I do not share Richard's sentiments. I believe they have no place in politics—certainly not as a part of the kind of campaign I am committed to running."

    Levi looked up at the reporters for a moment before continuing. "The fact is that I do believe in the power of people to change their lives, to change careers, to reinvent themselves, because I did, and I know that many others in their lifetime will too. I think that is the fundamental promise of our country. But that promise is predicated on a few things that I think are worth mentioning: hard work, honesty and civility. Without those things, there is very little that can be accomplished, which is why I have asked Richard to step down as chairman of my campaign's fund-raising operation. His presence would distract from the real issues of this campaign, but also more fundamentally, I think that his views require me to sever my ties for the time being. I have an obligation to lead by example, and as much as it pains me, I have asked Richard to withdraw from campaigning and to refrain from speaking publicly again until the campaign is concluded. He is now out of the country on business, and I do not expect him to return until the New Year."