Chapter 3: Home x Promise

4203 words.

Something about Christmas makes Killua feel warm and fuzzy. He wonders if it was the beams of sunlight shielding them like a warm blanket, or the island climate itself, comforting unlike the chilling wind on Kukuroo mountain. The decorations could've been it, too. Twinkling lights strung along the walls; garland draping from the needle-like branches of the towering Christmas tree. The smell of Mito's cooking is the best, the aroma of steaming muffins blessing Killua's nostrils, leaving him in a puddle of bliss. But what Killua loves most of all was the feeling of being included in a family.

Alluka tears wrapping paper into shreds with a devious glint in her eyes, and that same glint evolves into pure happiness and gratitude when she holds a pendant Mito gave her in the small of her palm. Then, Alluka will scan the perimeter for her next victim wrapped in decorative red ribbons. Alluka likes presents. That much is evident.

Gon sits next to Killua on the couch, and Killua somehow gathers up enough confidence to stay in that spot. Though, he's well aware of the warmth radiating from Gon's skin— as if his aura broke Killua's electromagnetic field and covered him in a quilt of reassurance.

Killua's mind travels elsewhere. It's a possibility he's only enjoying the moment this much because he realizes the precarious journey ahead.

His gaze locks on Alluka's laughing figure.

Thankfully, there has been an improvement with Nanika's spontaneous nature, so there is a greater chance of success if Alluka and Nanika do decide to discover the origins of Ais. Even though, there's a strong possibility that it's all merely a hunch. Then they'd be risking their lives for nothing. Killua bites his lip.

"Are you alright, Killua?" Gon asks, concerned.

Killua smiles, "just thinking about the time you limited my funds because you thought I was wasting too much money on chocolate."

Gon laughs, "Does Killua still think I was wrong for that?"

The former assassin scoffs, "you were wrong. What else would we have used the money for, anyway?" He mumbles near the end.

Gon hums and Killua lets his head fall on the back of the couch, blowing the snowy bangs out of his eyes and his unfocused gaze staring at the plain, white ceiling.

They were hunters, sure, but they're still bound by the leaders of society. It wasn't just monsters they'll be facing in the Dark Continent. The enemy lurks amongst humanity, as well.

Later that day, Gon takes Killua back into the forest. They asked if Alluka wanted to tag along, but she declined and stated Nanika wanted to spend some time with Mito. The girls have gotten quite close during the visit.

Killua ambles behind Gon along the trail for the thousandth time. At least, until Gon stops. Killua lets out a questioning hum; Gon turns his head, frowning. "Why doesn't Killua ever walk beside me?" He questions.

Killua's mouth falls open.

He thinks for a moment before answering, "it's an old habit, I guess."

How did that become a habit? Because Killua formerly viewed Gon as some sort of shining identity unreachable for those like himself. He walked behind Gon for multiple reasons. Many attacks are from the blind spot, and one of the biggest blind spots is from the behind— that reason was for protecting Gon. He could think of several other reasons to accompany that, but it was all drowned out by one overpowering reason that still dwelled in the back of his consciousness: in many ways, he felt that he didn't deserve Gon's friendship, so he worshipped him, instead. He viewed Gon as his savior, therefore they could never be on the same level, and Killua felt lucky enough to walk behind him.