“If anyone finds out she is gone, they will come searching for her and kill her.” Arius said quickly.

       “I refuse to leave her here with you.”

       “I’ll protect her.” Arius argued.

       My grandfather shook his head. “I don’t believe you are capable of doing that.”

       “I am, trust me. That’s what I’ve been doing since she’s arrived here.”

       My grandfather looked at Arius for a short moment. “You love her?”

       My cheeks started to burn and I felt the awkwardness.

       Arius nodded.

       My grandpa sighed and shook his head. “This is not the life I want for my granddaughter.”

       “I never thought that a life of royalty was something someone wouldn’t want for a loved one.” Arius said.

       “You are young, Prince. You do not know what you are putting on my granddaughters head.”

       “And what exactly is that?”

       “Pain.”

       I was a little surprised by that. “Grandpa, I—”

       My grandfather held his hand out and I silenced myself.

       “She is a slave.” My grandfather said. “And your love for a slave will never be accepted.”

       “But she is not a slave, at least… she’s not just a slave.” Arius countered. “My father wanted to marry her mother. Her mother… and you… were royalty. That makes her royalty.”

       “Were.” My grandfather said. “That is the key word. Were. We are no longer royalty. We were banished, humiliated and our ranks and status were stripped away from us. We are no longer of his status or position. We are worse than slaves, actually. We are close to villains, at least in the eyes of many Egyptians.”

       My heart sank every time my grandpa spoke.

       “Not in my eyes.” Arius said, wholeheartedly.

       “But your opinion does not matter. Not so long as your father is alive. Maybe not even after.”

       “Then—”

       “Young Prince… you must understand that the gods punished me for a reason. We mustn’t work against them.”