Chapter 9

Cassie's POV

Annalise Springster is painting the Greensboro post office.

"I can't believe you were able to strike up a deal with the mayor."

"Yeah, me neither," she says through the paintbrush dangling between her teeth. "How lucky am I?"

"Super lucky."

It's been two weeks since Annie told me about her deal with the mayor and every afternoon since then she's come over to my house to work on the mural--her one-way ticket to getting the major she wants.

"How's it looking?"

"Breathtaking."

And it is. It looks as if she's more than halfway done, but Annie says she intends to use the full 3 months to complete it.

She plucks the paintbrush from her mouth and adds a detail before saying, "I think I'll finish up early today. I've got to meet Florence and Lolo at home."

She grabs her art bag hastily, in the way she does everything, and begins throwing supplies in it. When she's done she gives me an air hug and heads for the door.

"Hey, Annie." I stop her before she leaves.

"Yeah?"

"I want to know more about that bird. Fill me in when you get details?"

She smiled. "Of course." And she was gone.

Annalise's POV

The walk home is a fast one, faster than usual at least because I'm already late for the meeting between Florence and my dad. She was supposed to get to my house at 7:30. It's 7:45. I pick up speed once I turn the corner to my neighborhood. Each house was lined up almost perfectly and every lawn was green and cut precisely. Some were covered in a blanket of red, orange, and green leaves while others, were left bare.

When I reach the house I call home, I rummage through my bag for my key. After a few seconds, I grow impatient and just ring the doorbell. A couple of minutes pass before my dad appears at the door.

"Nice of you to join us, Annie." He ruffles my hair. "We're in the living room."

Upon entering the living room, I am met with gushes of air and loud coos.

"Easy Lolo. Easy girl! She's happy to see you." Florence's voice sounds from across the room.

Lolo heeds the command and settles on my shoulder.

"Isn't she a beauty? Completely autonomous. Remarkable how you pulled this off Florence. I tell ya, at your age, I wasn't building anything close to this."

Florence blushes. "Thank you, but do you think you could fix her up? You know, make her less clumsy by nature?"

Lolo cooes to that.

"Sure I can. Do you mind if we keep her for a bit? I promise we'll take good care of her."

Florence bites her lip and her eyes go glossy. Clearly, she doesn't want to part with Lolo. She makes eye contact with me. I give her a small smile as if to say, "It's ok. She's in good hands."

"Well, I guess if I must." She gives Lolo a kiss on her beak. "You be good." Lolo cooes and rubs her beak against Florence's cheek. "I love you too. Can I visit?" she asks my dad.

"As much as you want."

"Ok well. Good luck!" She looked as if tears were about to spill from her eyes.

"Here, I'll walk you out," my dad says, putting a kind hand on her shoulder. She nods and follows him out.

"I guess it's just you and me, Lo."

Lo shifts uncomfortably on my shoulder and coos.

"I know I'm no Florence, but you'll learn to love me. Let me show you around the house."

We leave the living room.

Am I really about to give a house tour to a metal bird?

"Yes, yes I am."