chapter 14 / encounter 2 / calm

"Look at that... it seems we're coming up on another experience. Good thing I've been through enough trauma for this type of stuff to not affect me anymore." Kitty said, as they walked into what seemed to be another illusion.

"Sue? What's the plan this time!"

"I- I don't know! Can't you see that my brother is in pain and that's the only thing on my mind at the moment!" she replied, Johnny's arm slung around her shoulder while he limped right along beside her.

Not only were his powers gone, but the life had been sucked out of him as well. He was unable to move without Sue's help, and was also having troubles staying awake.

"I'm gonna talk to Strange. Hold on."

"Yes?"

"Is losing powers normal here?"

There was a silence

"I don't know." he replied, unsure.

"Oh,"

"Why, is everything alright?"

"N-no... it's Johnny. His powers are gone..."

"Woah..." said Peter, as the ratchet site began shuffling to a beautiful island, Strange disconnected, which let them take in the scenery themselves.

"You call this a nightmare?" asked Johnny.

"Well it sure seems he hasn't lost his sense of humor." Wanda said.

"Yeah, that's definitely still there."

"Where are we?" asked Kitty, in awe of the breathtaking setting.

"We're in hell. Keep that in mind." Betsy added, not having it.

"We're somewhere decent," said Steve.

"Decent? This place seems like paradise to me." added Peter.

"Yeah, well I'm just waiting for a flesh-eating disease to come out of the water." said Johnny.

"And look at that! Our clothes haven't changed either!" smiled Wanda.

"Let's go take a look around for that rift... and maybe something else." Sue ordered.

They began walking, as Sue stayed attentive of Johnny in the back, Steve taking the initiative to lead the group.

"Do you think they'll ever come back?"

"I'm sure they will. They always do." she smiled.

"No... but here. Without them here I'm a plain sailing-victim."

"That's why I'll protect you, I promise."

"Thanks, Suzie. Y'know... this is nice. There should be more time for nice."

"Agree—"

"What is that!" hollered Kitty from the front.

"It's a ship! Don't be surprise if they take us on as companions!" Betsy replied, grabbing Kitty as they hid behind a boulder, everyone else scrambling to find a hiding place as well.

"Wack looking ship they've got, but those are pirates." spoke Steve through his comm.

"And I'd hate to be the bear of bad news b-but I think they already saw us..." Peter said.

"Should we just surrender?" said Johnny, "I mean- judging by that tank they've got there's a lot of them."

"We are not surrendering, and if they find us they've got something else coming to them!" said Wanda, who was positioned with them replied.