chapter 15/ encounter 2 / sirens

The bonfire cricked and crackled as the scalding ashes rose and fell, dissolving into the night.

Kitty was the only one awake. Evidently, she was the only one who couldn't sleep under such circumstances and brain cloud.

A branch cracked beside her, as her state of sadness became anxiety, looking to Johnny who began to stir.

Figuring she didn't wanna annoy anyone or wake them up, she laid back down and closed her eyes, only for them to be opened by what looked to be a flickering light.

Getting up, it was almost as if whatever dream they were in, there was no such thing as a sunrise. It just turned on.

Now everyone started to move, irritated by the obnoxiously bright sun.

"Kitty...?" groaned Wanda, looking at the bewildered girl, as she stood there just watching the sun.

"What's happening?" asked Sue, getting up as well.

"It's like... someone flicked a switch and the sun rose..."

"Well if the skys awake then every other creature inhabiting this ground is too, so we better get moving." said Betsy, getting up from off the woodland ground and brushing off dirt on her suit.

Everyone began to stand, except one, Johnny, who was slightly slower then the others, but got up.

"You can walk!" Sue joyfully cried, pulling him into a hug which almost threw him off his feet again.

"Uhh... Kitty..." Peter asked.

She turned around in question, only to realize everyone was now staring at her arm.

"What is that...?" asked Johnny.

"I- I don't know- I- didn't put it on." her voice shaky, as she touched the stiff concrete that was beginning to form over her arm and shoulder.

"And I don't wanna find out what happens when you're covered in that stuff either, so we better hurry up." said Wanda, as she started to lead the team ahead, everyone following as Johnny limped behind just the slightest, Sue staying with him just in case.

*
"We've been walking for hours. Where could this portal possibly be?" said Sue, as they circled the island for the fourth time.

"Perhaps something needs to activate it. Maybe us talking to pirates... or whatever else is here can cause the rift to open." reasoned Betsy.

"Uhh... guys..." Kitty said, as she nearly walked into a dead corpse.

"Yuck!" screamed Peter, shielding his eyes away from the disgusting sight.

"That's nasty!" Sue shrieked, coming to the front.

"Hey! Do you guys hear that?" asked Steve.

"Hear what...?" replied Wanda.

"Wait! I hear it too!" Kitty said.

"It's like... a song..." said Peter, slightly dazed.

"Where's it coming from? I still don't hear it." Betsy said.

"Me neither." added Sue.

"The shore..." said Johnny, as him, Steve, and Peter began walking (and limping) towards it, eyes glazed over.

The girls exchanged looks, running after them.

"I think I have an idea of what this is..." said Wanda, as they left the grove of trees and were now on a sandy beach, the song becoming more apparent.