"Oh, honey, I think that's a wonderful idea! I'm ready to go now, so go brush your hair and teeth, put some comfortable shoes on and grab your violin and we'll go, okay?" she said.

I nodded, quickly finished my toast and ran upstairs. I braided my hair back, tossing it over my shoulder and feeling it slap lightly against center of my spine. I brushed my teeth and slicked simple cherry chapstick over my lips before putting the container in my pocket. I carefully grabbed my violin and carried it downstairs and out to Lucy's truck. I climbed in beside her as she started the vehicle and we were on our way. We chatted as she drove, mostly about how excited she was about her new job and that she found her new boss Max rather attractive.

"That's great Mom! He seems like a really sweet guy. I like his dog," I grinned, remembering the horrified look on Max's face when Thorn pushed me to the floor and covered me in doggy kisses.

"Oh you! You'd like anyone who had a dog," Lucy said, smacking my shoulder gently. I had to laugh, it was true. "Well, dogs are good assessors of people. If a dog likes someone, they can't be all bad." I replied.

Too soon we were pulling up on the boardwalk. I felt a slight frission of nerves hit me, but I climbed out, clutching my violin. "Why don't you set up outside of Max's, that way I can keep an eye on you?" Mom asked and I quickly agreed.

I placed a piece of paper asking for tips inside my violin's case as I stood and prepared to play. I sighed and thought about the pieces I wanted to play. I began with something simple, America the beautiful, followed by Amazing Grace, and then worked up to harder and more modern pieces. Time passed more quickly than I was aware of and my tips grew slowly from quarters to dollars. Before I knew it, the sun had set and Max had stopped to listen to me play. I grinned at him as I played a fast Irish jig.

His eyes were merry as I pulled the bow across the strings and I ended the song. "Your mother was right, you are very talented. Do you sing as well?" he asked.

"Sometimes," I said. "Really depends on the song." I answered.

"Well, I would truly enjoy hearing it," he said, dropping a $20 bill in my case. My eyes went wide and I nodded. Just as I was trying to decide what song to sing, I heard the rumble of the boys' bikes and I suddenly knew what song I would play. It was a tune from my old world and wouldn't be out for a good 20+ years, but it was one that I enjoyed immensely playing.

I tapped my toe on the ground to get my rhythm started and began to play, my voice joining next.

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in a river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh, uh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh,
And life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

And I'll be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I've never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holdin' my hand,
There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever,
Who would have thought forever could be severed by...

...the sharp knife of a short life, oh well?
I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done