Episode 2

Dear Chief Justice Silverstein:

I trust that you and your esteemed colleagues received my last letter.

I know that you are quite busy this time of year, so I will keep this letter short.

As I told you in my last letter, my wife and I made the decision to begin homeschooling our two young children. Well, this week, our son had a baseball game. As usual, my wife and I and our daughter went to the game to cheer him on and to get in a bit of relaxation ourselves while also catching up on the lives of our friends and neighbors.

Well, while we were in the midst of cheering and eating and talking, I heard my six-year-old daughter tug my arm and say, "Ew, gross." I looked over to see what the matter was expecting that perhaps an insect had landed on her hotdog or one of the boys had poured his cold soda over his head again. (It was a hot day.) I said, "What's wrong?" She pointed and said, "They just kissed."

I followed her gaze until I saw two men sitting beside each other in the bleachers two rows ahead of us. They had their arms around each other and were holding a sign with a boy's name on it. I recognized the name as one of my son's teammates. Whenever the boy was up at bat, they cheered loudly and called his name. Whenever he hit a ball and ran the bases, they kissed each other on the lips and cheered even louder, "That's our son!"

I was stunned and repulsed that my daughter -- not to mention the other children at the ballpark -- had to witness such a confusing and abnormal display of affection. My wife and I moved to new seats several feet away to put that couple out of her view. Unfortunately, I was unable to put the incident out of my mind, and I am sure it was not extinguished from our daughter's mind either. I was unable to enjoy the rest of the game as I kept wondering how I was going to explain this to her.

I am afraid that these sorts of scenarios will be played out increasingly across America as homosexual activists "come out of the closet" and try to force the rest of society to accept their lifestyle. I know that America is a nation of diversity and freedom of lifestyle -- people can choose the way they want to live. However, society should not be subject to the whims, demands, and oppression of a minority whose lifestyle is viewed as detrimental, harmful, or at least suspect by the majority. People in a traditional marriage situation should not have to witness or explain to their children how or why someone else who participates in a deviant lifestyle chooses to do so. Public places -- schools, churches, grocery stores, movie theaters, parks, sporting arenas, and the like -- should be places of safety and normalcy where all people can go and enjoy whatever is taking place there.

Unfortunately, many in the homosexual community refuse to leave it at that. They wish to bring their lifestyle before the world and make the rest of society accept it and approve of it. This should not be in a free and democratic society. The majority should not be cowed or terrorized by a minority and their allies. If you have any doubt about this action being deliberate and calculated, notice the following from a psychologist and an expert on family life, Dr. James Dobson:

What do we know about this disorder [homosexuality]? Well first, it is a disorder, despite the denials of the American Psychiatric Association. Great political pressure was exerted on this professional organization by gays and lesbians (some of whom are psychiatrists) to declare homosexuality to be "normal." The debate went on for years. Finally, a decision was made in 1973 to remove this condition from their Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM). It was made not on the basis of science, but was strongly influenced by a poll of APA members, which was initiated and financed by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. The vote was 5,834 to 3,810. The American Psychological Association soon followed suit. Today, psychologists or psychiatrists who disagree with this politically correct interpretation, or even those who try to help homosexuals change, are subjected to continual harassment and accusations of malpractice.

When isolated, the calls for "gay rights" and "equal treatment" may seem harmless -- even good and reasonable. But, rest assured, a greater political and social movement is afoot -- one that threatens to transform the institution of marriage, the institution of the family, and the nation as we know it for years to come. I throw myself on the mercy of the court and I am sure on the behalf of many others, please save this country from total destruction by doing everything in your power to not make homosexual marriage the law of the land.

That is all I will write for now, as I have to help my dear young children understand the evil and confusion that they just witnessed.

With deepest respect,

Michael Elderson