chapter 8: never going back

Start from the beginning

“I'm starved.” He says, digging into his dinner.

I watch him in confusion. He gives me a smile. “What are you doing? Eat. Your meat is burning.”

I close my bag and put it aside. The meat is indeed almost burnt. I grab one, blow it and the taste fills my mouth. We hear other people talking but we still don't do it. I'm about to pour myself another glass when Haneul snatches the bottle from me.

I look at him quizzically, a little annoyed.

“How are you supposed to write properly when you get drunk?” He asks.

I sigh. “Sometimes the greatest work comes out from drunken thoughts.”

Haneul actually smiles and pours me a drink and some on himself too. “Oh Seunghee, let's do it.” He says.

I blink hard. “What?”

He chuckles. I may be drunk or I finally see that handsomeness people see on him.  “Your friendship trope. Write it. Let's see what you've got.”

I hold my glass but I don't drink it. “I don't understand. What made you change your mind all of a sudden?” I ask.

Haneul shrugs. “Let me ask you something.”

“But I asked you something first.”

He looks at me for a moment and a small smile plays on his lips. “I'm going to ask anyway.” He says. We're both stubborn. That, I know. “Why did you pick me as your work's producer?”

Ha.

I blink again, trying to stay sane. “Because you picked me...” I say, “New writers don't really call the shots.”

Haneul nods. He hasn't drunk his drink either. “When I was reviewing scripts and I saw that you submitted yours, I admit I was being biased.” He says.

I look at him, eyes a little wide now. That's something I would have never expected from him. Haneul continues, “I really... To The Sky is a project that connected with me. It's about chasing one's dreams no matter how far away they seemed. To be honest, it was a show I would have loved to watch when I was younger. I really loved the optimism and motivation it gave the viewers."

My eyes are teary again.

"Truthfully, we both know that it got that much attention because of the K-pop idol starring it but I don't think people would have loved his character that much if you didn't make him the way that he was. Your work, your debut as a drama writer was so well written and impressive. I picked  What Planet Are You From because I wanted to work again with the writer that I knew from To The Sky. I expected the same quality of work, if not better."

I sigh, looking down at my food. I should just hand my resignation letter over to him right now. It isn't his fault. Even I know that What Planet Are You From isn't as impressive as my debut. I'm the problem. To The Sky is a work that I wrote back when I was hopeful and happy. My personal life is affecting my writing and Haneul isn't the right producer for the kind of story that I want to write. "I'm sorry for not exceeding your expectations." I say.

But Haneul smiles and says, "No, I'm sorry."

"What?"