The Bathtub (Part 3)

As minutes passed by people got more and more anxious. And by people I mean Dustin, who was so anxious where he started to pace the bus over and over again annoying almost everyone.

"Will you stop pacing?" Mike said as Dustin took another lap.

"It's been way too long." Dustin said returning back to the group. "Do you know what? Maybe you're right. Maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!"

"It's not a trap." Lucas said from his seat next to Nikki. "Why would the chief set us up? Nancy, maybe, but the chief?"

Nikki had to lightly giggle at Mike's reaction as he threw his hands in the air offended.

"Lando Calrissian." Dustin said pointedly.

"Would you shut up about Lando?"

"I don't feel good about this." Nikki agreed with Dustin there, she didn't feel good about this. "I don't feel good about this!"

"When do you feel good about anything?" Lucas shouted making Nikki jump. He turned to and muttered an apology before turning to the noise of a vehicle outside.

The group ran up to the front of the bus and not only saw one car, but two car pull into the junkyard.

"Shit!" Dustin exclaimed.

"Go, go, go, go." Mike rushed everyone to the back of the bus.

"Lando." Dustin said as everyone tried to hide themselves behind seats.

"You think they saw us?" Lucas asked from his place next to Nikki.

"Both of you, shut up." Mike spat at both of the boys.

They listened as car doors slammed and footsteps walked around the bus. Soon, the bus door opened with a squeak and a grunt was heard followed by a few more exclaims.

A few seconds of silence passed and the door squeak again. They all stood up ready for the worst but was hoping for the best.

Police chief Jim Hopper, stepped on the bus and looked around at the kids staring at him.

"All right, let's go." He said calmly.

"Let's go!" He repeated in a more booming voice. The kids quickly gathered their stuff and ran off the bus. They were ready to be anywhere else than here.

***

The sun had set by the time Hopper's truck pulled into the Byers' driveway. The kids filed out of the car as Will's family and Mike's sister ran out of the house.

"Mike." Nancy called running over to him. "Oh, my god. Mike!"

Nancy hugged Mike out of relief seeing him unharmed. Pulling away, she held him at arms length and said, "I was so worried about you."

"Yeah." Mike said awkwardly. "Me, too."

Nancy looked behind him and saw the two girls standing awkwardly, looking around.

"Are those my clothes?" Nancy asked looking the girls up and down.

El and Nikki looked at each other with a little bit of worry but nonetheless followed everyone inside.

***

As Mike explained their theory to the adults, Nikki was fascinated by the "decorations" in the house. She looked at all the strings of lights, only without the lights. She looked at the letters on the walls and tried to remember them for later.

She was hallway done memorizing the look of the letters before she was pulled away from her thoughts...literally. El had grabbed her arm and dragged her to the dining room and sat her down at the table.

Everyone else scattered throughout the house grabbing supplies needed to contact Will.

Once everything was set into place, the girls sat on one side of the table while everybody sat on the other side watching them carefully. Static filled the air as El rested her hands on the table, followed by Nikki resting her left hand on El's right hand. Both of the girls closed their eyes trying to focus.

The lights flickered and for a second only a barely noticeable light blue haze could be seen. Light came back on and both of the girls open their eyes. Nikki turned to El and with one looked she knew what had happened.

"I'm sorry." El apologized to Joyce.

"What?" Joyce asked worriedly. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"I can't find them." El replied sadly.

Nikki didn't want everyone to see El so upset. So she grabbed her hands and led her to the bathroom she had seen earlier.

Nikki shut the door behind and walked over to El who already had tears on her face. El washed her face quickly and Nikki handed her a towel she had found.

Once El dried her face she stood looking at Nikki not knowing what to do to make it better.

"It's okay." Nikki whispered knowing what was going through her sister's mind. She pointed at El and then herself. "Tired."

El nodded and looked back in the mirror. Nikki saw her eyes flash with hope and then look back at the bathtub. She looked at Nikki and smile shyly before grabbing her hand and leaving the bathroom.

***

Meanwhile, while the girls were in the bathroom. Everyone else was having a conversation.

"Whenever they use their powers, they get weak." Mike explained to everyone who didn't really know the girls.

"The more energy they use, the more tired they get." Dustin continued.

"And Nikki gets more tired easily but still." Lucas added. "Like, Nikki exploded a tire earlier and El flipped a van."

"It was awesome." Dustin added his side comment.

"But their drained." Mike said.

"Like a bad battery."

"Well," Joyce looked at the boys in a hurry. "How do we make them better?"

"Well, Nikki usually sleeps to get her energy back, but we had to wake her in order to get on the bus and she hasn't slept since and El just has to rest." Mike shrugged. "It's a waiting game."

"Well, how long is it going to be until we can try again?" Nancy asked getting impatient.

"I don't know." Mike replied sadly.

"The bath." El voice made everyone turn to the two girls standing behind them. Nikki wore a confused but worried look as her sister told them the solution.

"What?" Joyce asked.

"I can find them." El swallowed. "In the bath."

Authors note
Thanks again for reading!

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️