forty

After depositing Burg's unconscious—though miraculously still alive—body in Qin's abandoned cell, Kasia, Din, and Yrel slipped through the dark corridors, silent save the latter's murmured directions to Mando as he and Kasia steered the group in X...

After depositing Burg's unconscious—though miraculously still alive—body in Qin's abandoned cell, Kasia, Din, and Yrel slipped through the dark corridors, silent save the latter's murmured directions to Mando as he and Kasia steered the group in Xi'an's direction. While Kasia and Yrel could speak silently to each other and Mando could speak silently to both with thought projection, neither could speak to Mando, seeing as he wasn't an Eulentian. A major inconvenience if Kasia did say so herself.

Kasia came to the halt suddenly, glancing towards where Din and Yrel stood at her back. She could feel Xi'an's presence around the corner of the hallway, could sense her simmering thoughts and fear and budding wonder if Din would spare her.

For a moment, Kasia slipped inside the woman's head, watched as a lifetime of bitterness flashed before her eyes. Finally, Kasia blinked and pulled herself back to the present as she tightened and loosened her grip on her blasters before nodding at Din.

Together they turned the corner, creeping up upon the Twi'lek from behind.

Within moments, Kasia felt awareness snap inside Xi'an's mind, and she had just enough time to duck before one of the woman's knives whistled past her ear, another slamming into the blaster in Mando's hand and sending it flying.

Kasia jumped back to her feet, dodging as more blades whistled through the air rapid fire, aimed both at Mando and Kasia. But while the blade's ricocheted uselessly off of Mando's Beskar, Kasia was left with no other option but to dodge the flying knives. She grunted as one barely clipped the edge of her right arm, a small trickle of blood rising in the wake of the blade.

Ignoring the pain, Kasia raised her blasters and shot at the Twi'lek, aiming to decapacitate but unfortunately not to kill the girl—it had been decided after their skirmish with Burg that locking up the traitors and condemning them to a lifetime of imprisonment would be better than killing them. After all, they hadn't killed Mando when they had the chance, so there was a certain kind of symmetry in the act.

The Twi'lek dodged the plasma bolts with exaggerated difficulty—seriously Kasia had been aiming to maim not kill the woman, so the dramatics were really unnecessary—as Din used the cover to continue slowly approaching his ex-lover.

Spinning, Xi'an flung a dagger towards Din, and he staggered back a step as it caught him in the shoulder, where the Beskar didn't protect his skin.

Kasia's eyes widened, and she sucked in an unconscious breath as the Mandalorian gave a low grunt of pain. Still, Kasia didn't allow herself a moment to ponder it as she surged forward, ducking below one of the Twi'lek's poorly aimed knives and again unsheathing the knife she kept strapped at her side.

Xi'an gave a hiss of pain as Kasia drove the blade low into the flesh at her side, the injury certainly agonizing but sadly not deadly.

"I can either kill you now," Kasia murmured under her breath as she dug the blade in deeper, a whimper passing the Twi'lek's lips, "Or you can yield. Your choice, sweetheart."