Chapter 33

Hello everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone who is reading this, voting and commenting. It means so much to me that people are liking this story, so THANK YOU!

DECEMBER 2016

Rarely, in his life as a doctor, Peter got attached to his patients. He usually keeps distances and tries to talk to them only if it's strictly necessary. He was judged by colleagues, patients and families for his behavior, but it worked, and he saved lives. Now everything has changed, since Julia's case handed in his hands.

He took a liking into her since the first time he saw her. Jake just left after he told him to go see her, and he went inside her room to talk to her. She was smiling, that filled his heart. She listened to him carefully, then they talked about her being in the hospital, the pregnancy. She asked him about her parents and Jake. She has always been so full of hope, always ready to see the best even in the worst situations. He likes that about her.

And yes, he likes Jake too. A lot. That kid is everything. Young, but mature, ironic but serious, funny and clever. And, most important thing, he is there. There for Julia, but also for his future son. Peter will always remember when Jake came to his office the week before and asked him if there was like a class he could take to learn how to be a good dad, and things like that. he also was worried about him having to leave a lot because of his music. They talked a lot about that, and then about other things, more simple and less serious.

Jake and Julia. What a weird and perfect couple at the same time. A twenty years old musician with a twentyfour years old engineer. He wouldn't have bet anything on them, if someone asked him. But there they are. Their love is strong, Peter can feel it.

Peter Lovell gets the results from the last exams they took on Julia. He met up with some other colleagues and nurses to talk about the situation. He has to talk to her, now.

He walks down the hallway to her room, hoping she would be there. Sometimes, when Jake is with her, she walks around the hospital with him, sometimes going to the roof or in the garden. He is so good to her, she is so lucky. Peter is grateful for him, he really is. He takes care of everything, together with that girl with pink hair, and Julia feels visibly better every time they see each other. However, in the past few days, Julia started getting a lot weaker and Peter didn't find her wandering around the hospital talking to everyone anymore. The door of her room is closed, and he opens it.

He points his eyes straight to the bed, and then he smiles. There she is, with Jake as well. They are both on her bed, they look like they are sleeping together. He is supporting her with his body, her head on his shoulder, his above hers. She is pressed against his body, and he is holding her back. They both have their eyes closed, and Peter knows Julia is probably sleeping. But Jake is not.

Peter sees his hand slightly moving, drawing circles with his thumb on hers, holding it tight. He knocks a few time on the opened door to catch Jake's attention, who opens his eyes and smiles. Without leaving his place on the bed, he checks his phone. "oh wow, it's late already. Sorry".

"don't worry, kid", Peter says walking closer to the bed. "you are always welcomed here". Jake smiles again. "do you have to talk to her? Because I really have to go now".

"yes, I do have to talk to her, but I'm pretty sure she will handle it perfectly. And we need some time alone, doctor-patient quality time, you know". Peter feels safe joking with them, they always do that while together.

Jake laughs a little. "I'm a little jealous of you, Doctor Lovell, I have to admit it". and Peter laughs too. Then he starts looking at a few papers he has to talk Julia about, letting Jake wake her up.

The boy touches lightly Julia's shoulder. "hey, love, wake up". He takes out the arm he had behind her shoulders. "Doctor Lovell is here, and I have to go".