Chapter 23

The next evening, Jake and Julia are outside their tent, talking. She is sitting with her legs crossed, her back pressed against Jake's chest, who's sitting just behind her. He is holding her waist closer to his body with one arm, using the other to bring the cigarette to his mouth. After finishing one, he takes another out of the pocket right away, lightening it and taking a drag. Julia looks at him, head bent to the side. Seeing him smoking is definitely something she has always loved.

They see Baz getting out of her tent, and then walking to them. "hi", Jake greets, while Julia smiles and waves her hand.

"do you guys want to go on a hike with some of us tomorrow?", Baz asks the couple. She didn't wanna interrupt their moment, but she really wants them to join her group.

"where are you going?", Jake asks.

Baz points at the mountains right behind her. "right there", she says, "between those two mountains peaks. There is a little yellow tin can where we can spend the night, and then come back the next day".

Julia looks at where Baz is pointing. "it looks really high and far away", she says. She is not sure if she would make it.

"there is a lot of walking on the ground before the actual hike, it begins just right at the base of that mountain. It's not that far away, you'll see".

Jake blows out some smoke, and then bends his head to look at his girlfriend. "what do you say? It seems interesting".

Julia sits better on the ground, moving away from Jake's body. "I don't know, Jake, I'm not in the best shape for going on a hike".

"we can always stop midway and come back. And we are leaving in three days, let's do something different, what do you say?".

Julia knows he is right, they should go, and it seems to be a very beautiful hike. She could try, and see how it goes. After all, she has started the diet, but she also has to start exercising a little bit.

"okay, let's do it. if I die midway, leave me there", she jokes. Jake laughs and Baz smiles. "I've been there some years ago, I'm bringing Nick and Jack", she explains. "the other three have to leave tomorrow, so they won't join us".

"is it hard?", Julia asks feeling a little nervous. Baz smiles again. "not that I remember. It's a little bit long, but we'll do something to spend the time. and the view up there it's magnificent".

Jake knows Julia feels nervous. he proposed to her to go on a little hike the other day, but she said no. he thinks she probably feels embarrassed, even though she shouldn't.

"fuck, I'm nervous now", Julia says laughing.

"don't be, it will be fun, I promise", Baz replies. Julia turns to Jake and takes the cigarette that was placed between his lips. "give me that", she says bringing it to hers and taking a drag herself.

Baz grins. "I'm warning you two", she says pointing at them. "no smoking on the mountains. And Julia, I didn't know you smoked".

"not much, sometimes I share a cigarette with Jake, that's all. to calm down when I'm nervous, you know". Baz smiles. "you should find something else to do, and then do it with your boyfriend", she says motioning to Jake who is still smoking. He smiles. She is right, he smokes a little bit too much.

"Before, I used to eat to relax and calm down my nerves", Julia begins, "that's what started it all. I know smoking is not good.. what can we do, pretty boy?", she asks looking at Jake.

He takes the last drag, and then smirks looking at her. "have sex".

Baz laughs out loud. "okay, I'm leaving you two alone", she says walking to her tent. "we have the alarm set at six thirty. We leave at seven. Goodnight". And then she disappears inside.