Sleepover

Joey heard his drawer shut before he felt the weight of his bed dip. He knew without opening his eyes that she had once again slipped into his apartment with her spare key and stolen his teeshirt on her way into bed. This new development of her coming over at night was becoming increasingly more frequent. It was nearly triweekly, Joey realized. Not that he would ever complain about getting to hold her for a little longer or having her in his bed when the sun rose but he wondered, not for the first time, what was the point of doing it this way.

He felt her breath hot on his face as she laid down mere inches from him. He opened one eye to see her staring back, her eyes timid while smiling goofily.

"Hi Jojo." She whispered quickly as Joey slid his face across the pillow leaving a light kiss atop her nose. Joey grabbed hold of the duvet and he exhaled deeply as he threw his arm over her body, bringing her under the covers and into him.

She let her hands fall naturally on his chest, burying her face in his neck. His mouth came to rest just centimeters from her hair in which he left a bunch of short kisses and then rolled onto his back taking her with him.

"Joey." She started after they had spent nearly ten minutes in comfortable silence. "I really need to pee."

The man below her laughed and released her. She turned on his lamp to not trip on the floor and walked away in a quick manner needing the bathroom but also knowing the faster she left the faster she could return.

While she was gone he contemplated how to approach the subject of why they were still playing this game in the first place. Sure they'd only been together for a little over a year and it might feel like they were moving fast, but they weren't kids anymore and they certainly weren't getting any younger.

Still lost in thought, he saw her climb back into bed  through his peripheral vision and shuffle her way into his arms again. He held her tightly, his arms wrapping across her torso like a seatbelt made specifically to keep her safe from terrors in the night.

Lauren broke their second peaceful silence attempting to reach for the lamp once more and deliver the quip she had been working on while she was away.

"Your room is a wreck" she said, suddenly unable to control her giggles, turning back to look at him "you could have at least cleaned your bathroom."

She scrunched up her nose attempting a joke about it smelling but Joey was too invested in how adorable she was when she was laughing, looking so carefree. He knew he wanted to only see her look like that forever and this moment along with so many others only cemented that idea further.

"Had I known" he sat against his wall leaving another kiss in her hair on his way up. "That I was going to have guests at three o'clock in the morning I'm sure I would have!" He responded, his tone joking but slightly exasperated.

"Oh." She quieted immediately looking seriously into his eyes. "Does it really bother you? I'll stop and I can go if you are upset by it. I just thought that, you know, since you gave me the key and you know I hate being alone at night-" she rambled, hands moving frantically as she tried to double back, moving out from his bed.

"Lo I'm kidding." He reached out and grabbed her wrists stilling her for a moment. He slid his right hand cupping her face before cradling her head and pulling her body into his lap. His arm rested lazily over her waist.

"Of course I know how you feel about the night and I gave you that key so you would use it. I just," he sighed while running his hand through her hair. "How much longer are we gonna do this before we say screw it and move in together? At this point having two places feels like an expensive waste. We could pool that extra money for something fun like new furniture or a ton of baking supplies."

"Or a dog?!" Lauren asked excitedly, eyes wide though they were lined with tears.

"Or a dog." He chuckled repeating the route through her hair once again. "I love having you in my bed and the ability to protect you from the scary things. It would just be easier for us both if you started the night here too, I think. I love you so much Lauren and I just want you to be happy but also well rested."

The tears began free falling as Lauren stared at the boy who wanted to hold her and protect her, who she knew with confidence she saw a very full future with and apparently he did too.

Joey moved to wipe them away before adding "I promise I will try and stay as tidy and orderly as I can."

Lauren let out a wet giggle, rolling her eyes, before catching his hand and bringing the two of them to lay down, guiding his hand back over her body. He pulled her in as close as he could leaving a little kiss on her neck before reaching over and finally turning out the light.

She couldn't even focus on how dark it was or what scary dreams tomorrow night would bring. She was too giddy that Joey wanted to move in together, keep her safe, and maybe save up and start a little family. Her breathing slowed to match his and she fell asleep quickly and peacefully, one of the best nights sleep Lauren could ever remember.

A/N: Two in a week?! I don't know I had time and was inspired I guess 🤷‍♀️
I think my favorite part of this one shot series is seeing how many way I attempt to spell T-Shirt. Okay have a nice day and Happy Passover if you Celebrate!!