Chapter 4 | The Journey

Começar do início

We quickly disembarked from our tanks, and stood at attention, and that's when I saw the Royal Family. The King and Queen were at their head, with the Prince's and Princess's walking behind them, with Royal Guards flanking them, equipped with automatic rifles. They walked down the aisle, inspecting each tank, and asking the Commander a question, as well as presenting awards to each crew. A crowd had gathered around the Palace, everyone looking with awe. The Family weren't looking ahead, and the light tanks/armoured cars weren't that big, so when they reached us, their jaws dropped at the sight of the M/42. We, saluted.

"Wow..." the king muttered. The Family looked at the tank with near disbelief. "I remember seeing tanks as a child, but never something the size of this..." A princess caught eye contact with Klaus. Klaus smiled at her, and she giggled. The king then asked: "What is this tank?" I replied:

"It's the M/42, or known by the Engineers, as the Stridsvagn M/42"

One of the Princes, I was guessing then eagerly asked: "Whet gen does its haves?"

"The 75mm gun, not the best tank killer gun, but definitely the most reliable."

The king then looked at around at the family, and they nodded. "Men, several days ago, you prevented what could have been a serious terrorist attack on Stockholm. Several of our tanks were hijacked, and instead of retreating, you and your men held your ground, long enough for your Battalion to retreat, an act that nearly cost you your lives. For that, I, on behalf of Sweden, am presenting you with the Medal of Merit, as well as the Wound Badge Gold to each one of you for your actions." We stood stunned. The King presented the medals, and hanged them around our necks. Soon the crowd burst into cheering, and we shook hands with both the king, and other members of the family, I noticed the same princess that giggled at Klaus slip something into his pocket. He then walked back towards the entrance of the Palace to see us through. Soon all eyes were on me. At first, I was confused, but then the King gave me a nod, a sign that I was now in charge.

"BATTALION, MOUNT!" I shouted and everyone scrambled back into the tanks. Once we were in, we sat out of our cupulas and waved to the family, as well as the crowd. I soon led the way, through the crowd, and towards the railway station, were the trains to transport us to the front were waiting.

"I can't believe I had actually shaken hands with the King, the King!!" I spoke. Karl and Hans laughed. Soon enough, we reached the station. There were already other tanks on board, a few up gunned M/42's, as well as other equipment. I then spotted Bofors guns on the train, covered with camouflage nets. I then saw a Middle-aged man, maybe in his early 40's, with a beard, wearing some work clothes, running up to me.

"Is this the 2nd Battalion?" He asked

"Yes, it very well is" I answered

"Alright, the tanks can be loaded up here, the ammunition and supplies are on another train" he told me.

Karl forwarded the message to the rest of the battalion as some of the railway workers helped us park. We managed to do it easily with neutral steering, but others had a bit of trouble. Soon enough, the tanks were loaded on, and the train left the station. We decided to cover up Paula, since well, we didn't want to make it obvious that a huge 53-ton tank was heading to the front. We then sat in an accommodation car. We soon found the bar cart (yes, this train actually had one) and sat down at the table. Klaus was acting strange, and I asked:

"What did that Princess do to you?" Apparently, everyone in the cart heard I and burst out laughing, and Klaus tried to somewhat sink below the table.
"I dunno, it's just..." he reached into his pocket, and we found what she had put into his pocket. A handkerchief.
"Mystery solved" muttered Hans Jokingly.
Lunch went on as usual, and the afternoon was, well beautiful. We steamed across Sweden, in between farms, cities, hills and mountains. It was a Beautiful sight. So peaceful, so calm... and what if the frontline collapsed? I tried not to think what would happen to people out here. After about a few hours, we finally arrived at the frontline. We unloaded our tanks, and set out through a forest towards the city that we would be stationed in, Savonlinna.

??? POV:

I ran through the woods, my dress ripping. It was supposed to be a normal walk with my brother, just to visit the Farmhouses on the outside of town. But then we were attacked by wolfs, Black hounds. Rare, but deadly. We are lucky to still be running, but where we are running, I don't know. "Lookout!" my brother Timothy screamed. I ducked as a wolf leaped over me, knocking me over. I grabbed a nearby branch, and hit it hard against the wolf's head. My brother finally was able to draw his short sword, but before he could use it, a wolf leaped onto him, as he screamed:
"RUN HANNA RUN!" he screamed as he struggled with the wolf, I got up and lobbed a branch over the wolfs head, and with that, we ran, ran as fast as our feet could carry us, we could hear the wolfs behind us, and soon, they leapt onto us. We fell down, as they attacked us. I tried crawling away, to shocked by what's happening to even scream when 3 gunshots ran out. The wolf fell down, no arrow through it, nothing. I looked towards where the gunshots came from, and nearly screamed, but managed to hold it in. A huge box like machine stood several metres away from me, it had 2 tracks on either side, and a huge barrel, sticking out of a circular box on top of the bigger one. In it, 2 young men stood, about my age. What struck me was the one on the left. He had brown eyes, messy but somewhat organised hair, and was holding a pistol, smoke now steaming out of it. He wore a black uniform, with medals decorated on it, and had an equally stylish cap. "You alright?" he asked. I looked at my brother, who was now staring at this machine in awe.
"Yes, I'm good, but what is that thing" I asked rather sheepishly.
"Its called a tank my dear" he replied. 

----

Good day/evening! Here is a long chapter to hopefully make up for the previous short chapters
This story was just about 2000 words (this is biggest chapter I have ever done)
I will post photo of what the tank looks like