Chapter 20: Action

Prince Eric's POV

My stomach did a flip when I saw her. Her fiery red hair grown into a stylish pixie-cut making her soft kind face look even sweeter. And her dress! She wore it with such insecurity, but the pink made her skin tone look brighter and happier. I gaze at this unexpected beauty and grace. Her eyes are shimmering and her cheeks, a kind shade of pink.

A jumble of words came out of my mouth as I see her stride down the hallway. Her eyes are red and she's biting her lip. My heart leaps a little. I'm such an idiot. I'm engaged AND my father would never let me marry some girl I found on the beach.

Before I can embarrass myself even more, I quickly step back down the staircase to where Annabeth is waiting for me.

"Ah, Eric." She smiles genuinely and takes my arm. "I was hoping you could give me tour of the castle. You know, a little inside look."

"Of course. Anything for you my dear." I smile back at her an kiss her cheek. "But, I was thinking we could get a couple rounds of dancing in first." I tell her slyly and I lead her into the Grand Ball Room.

Classical music plays as Annabeth and I gently glide along the dance floor. Her silver dress shines in the light of the grand crystal chandelier.

"I see now that dancing with you is far better than a tour." She murmurs into my ear softly. "You are just like your father."

"Well I'm glad to hear that. I wish to be a great man just as he is someday." I reply proudly. My father has always been an important figure in life, ever since my mother died.

"I'm sure you will." She smiles and plants a warm kiss on my cheek. "I lo-" A loud clanking noise cuts her off.

"Excuse me, everyone!" My father announces and everyone stops to look at him. "I'd like to introduce you A very special guest. Not only is she beautiful and mysterious, she also saved my life. And for that, I owe a debt I cannot repay. Please welcome El." He declares to the people.

A very nervous and shaky El takes a rigid step forwards. A small smile is plastered on her face, but the way she walks is simply graceful; as if she had grown up knowing the ways of a true princess.

The crowd applauds, giving her a warm welcome.

But something is wrong.

Suddenly her eyes widen and her fingers begin twitching. "Excuse me, my dear." I mutter to Annabeth and quickly rush over to El. Her face widens with panic and I grab her arm to steady her. "Calm down, just follow m lead."

I smile at her and pretend to whisper in her ear. She nods her head walks off with me. As soon as we reach the balcony El lets out a long sigh and I release my grip. "Are you alright?"

El nods and grips the Stoney edge of the balcony so hard, her knuckles turn white. She lets another exasperated sigh and I edge closer to her. El turns to face me and I set my elbows on the edge just as she is.

"You know, my mother used to take me out here every night. We'd stay up for hours together, just looking at the stars. She'd say-" Suddenly, El lets out a choked up sob and her eyes get red again. "El, I-I sorry did I- your mother." My breath catches up and I let out a shaky breath. "I'm sorry."

She turns away and I take a deep, solid breath. "You know, I lost mine too." I sigh and turn back towards the stars. Out of my periphery vision, I see El stiffen and slowly turn around. I meet her dreadful but curious gaze. "Child birth, my baby sister-" I get cut off when I feel her arms wrap around me.

As soon as she hugs me, she backs away. "S-s-" She begins but gives up. El looks up at me with big sorrowful eyes. We inch a little closer to each other until my nose barely rubs against hers. I can feel her warm breath pick up into shallow gasps. El hangs her head low, but I lift her chin up. Hesitantly, I inch closer to her until the gap between us closes completely in a sweet, soft kiss.

We pull apart and I gasp. What have I done?