Chapter 2: The voice

Ariel's POV

"Prince Eric!" The same man who yelled at me, calls out. "It is no use. That siren must have gotten him after the ship blew up.." The man sighs, as the rest of the sailors swim to the shore.

I grumble at the thought of me being a siren. But what did I expect from a man, especially a SAILOR.

Knowing that I'll have to take him further along the shore, I gingerly grab his stomach and pull him under.

'Aren't forgetting something?' The voice sounds irritated as it comes back into my head.

What does it mean? The other man had gotten all of the the crew but-oh. He needs air. So, I take him back up to the surface.

'No you'll be seen!' The voice sounds even more irritated now.

'I have no choice!' I tell it angrily. Am I really doing all this for a MAN? Is he really so important that I risk my own life? Apparently.

'Yes you do.' I can feel the voice smirking somehow. 'YOU can breath underwater.' it teases my slyly.

'There is NO WAY I am doing mouth to mouth. I-I don't even know how.' I begin giving the voice a list of excuses.

'Plug his nose, breath in, and breath out.' The voice simply cuts me off. 'Look, it was your choice, so do it.' I groan as I realize that it's right. It's now or never.

I gently plug his nose, and breath into his mouth quickly.

'You know your going to have to do it more than once, right?' The voice sighs at my stupidity.

I groan again pull him under. I make sure to stop every now and then, giving him a breath. Finally we reach the shore and I lay him on the sand. I begin giving him CPR but he doesn't respond. I begin to panic and remember a lullaby my mother used to sing to me.

"Close you eyes,
Let your mind fall lost in sleep.
Forget the world
And its dark and deep.

"Hush and slip into your dream
Listen to the lullaby
Calling you away from harm
Shh, my child, don't cry."

It may have be the exact opposite of what I wanted, but the melody is soothing. Suddenly, he coughs up about a gallon of water.

"Where-where-?" His voice is gentle and warming, even after he just spat up salty sea water.

"Your safe." I whisper, looking into his crystal blue eyes.

'What are you doing?' The voice sounds panicked. 'Get out of there!' And I quickly jump back into the water and dive down deep. 'You fool!' You were lucky enough that I let you save him!

The voice roars into my brain. I feel a surge of energy, and I pick up a sharp cut shell. 'This should teach you a lesson.' It sneers at me and suddenly I bring the shell down into my arm cutting it deep. I shriek in dispair and pain as the salty sea water infests my wound. 'You. Are. Mine." It ingrains into my head and I nod.

Tears slip from my eyes and I look at my other bruises and scars the voice punished me with. 'Ursula, I need you.'