Chapter Two; Page Ten

Staring blankly at his Uncle, Wolf stood in the middle of the spacious room in silence, making it obvious that he wasn't very happy with the mention of his parents.

They've never had the best relationship- more so, there was never a relationship between them in the first place- since both his guardians worked as publicists; they were too busy to even attempt to build anything with him. Which in some ways, made Wolf feel empty. Like there was a place in his soul that was left hollow, a space reserved for his parents that had yet to be filled.

Uncle Kyung, despite not being able to fill it, came pretty damn close.

Back then, Wolf believed that he could live just fine with only his Uncle for support- but as he grew into adulthood, he realized that his parents' absence in his life was something that Uncle Kyung simply couldn't mold himself into.

Ever since Wolf got his first job as an intern, he's been trying his best to reconcile with his parents. Attempting to call his old home phone, trying to get connections, all while working his ass off to prove that he's changed.

-And even if all his hard work seemed to be useless, Wolf just couldn't find it in himself give up on them.

He's quite the stubborn bastard.

"I know they're a sensitive topic for you, but hear me out-" His Uncle stepped forward, only for Wolf to take a step back in retaliation.

He knew that Uncle Kyung didn't mean any harm in bringing it up, Wolf knew him to be a very nice, justice oriented, and wise man. But he just couldn't bear another long- drawn out discussion about how his parents turned him down again. He didn't want the crushing weight of his own disappointment to affect his work life.

Again.

"-Pops" Wolf sighed, massaging his temples in frustration. "Now's not the time, we're at work."

"I know, I know. But if not now, then not ever." Planting heavy hands onto the surface of his Oak desk, Uncle Kyung stared at his nephew with an indecipherable strained expression strewn across his wrinkly face. "You never answer any of my calls anymore, son. Why is that?"

Eyes looking away in guilt, Wolf responded in a weary voice."I was just- I've just been busy."

Well, it wasn't complete bullshit.

Ever since he's been promoted to a sales manager, he's been dealing with a lot more on his plate compared to when he was still a junior. But, knowing that when he's off from work, he leaves his phone on 'do not disturb'; Wolf could easily admit that he was also in the wrong, in some way shape or form.

"But that has nothing to do with my parents-" Wolf added, watching his Uncle furrow his eyebrows, like he said something wrong.

"Alright, I'll just cut to the chase. I was on call with your mother this morning, and she apparently wants to see you."

Wolf stared at him incredulously, like he was spewing nonsense. His mother? Wants to go see him? After he spent years on his own? He was almost convinced that his Uncle was pulling some sort of messed up prank, if not because of the unlikely nature of his personality. And it took a second of intense silence and staring from him to realize that his uncle was actually serious.

Wolf looked like a purple deer in headlights, his eyes wide and eyebrows furrowed in both surprise and suspicion.

"What?"