XII

I did not expect this would happen! I spread all the salt I have all over in my cloak as I ran away from the monster, I didn't know it would be very effective. But it's not yet over...

"I am very sorry," I said, feeling sorry for the monster. I'm holding my slingshot with my left hand and garlic on the other hand. I'm ready to shoot, just in case. But I know it is better to run, I turned my back and took a step forward.

A deafening voice echoed. I slightly tilted the back of my head to see what's behind me, and still, the body of the monster is clouded with black and white smoke, rising and sometimes streaming down.

"All of you are the same! You attacked us first because all of you are scared! Humans are weak and scared creatures! They fear what is unknown! And get rid of what is beyond and surpasses their ability! I thought, you are different, but you are not!" said the monster. "Right now! I will tear you apart as your village and bloodline did to us"

What is she talking about? I am no different than others? Wait, others? She said my village and bloodline betrayed them. What is going on?

"What are you talki—" I said but I stopped in the middle as I saw the monster's wings rise in the smoke then flap, and a strong breeze waves the trees around her and some of its leaves flew away; I fell into my knees as the wind passed by.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, while slowly trying to get back into my feet. "Please tell me what happened!"

My eyes widened, and my mouth let open as I saw the monster's hair pointing at me; now her eyes are blinding as it glows brighter and brighter; nails extended like a long sword; every end of the wings sharpen; she's smiling and her smile almost reached her eyes; her teeth are sharper than before, and now I saw how pale and nubile her upper body was.

I aim my slingshot at the monster and load it with my garlic, and then I stretch out the rubber strips as long as it can, and when it reaches its limit, I let it out.

The garlic flies in the air directly at the monster, in haste.

In just a couple of seconds, a snake-like tongue dashes out from the monster's mouth, it tears off the garlic into pieces and hits my right cheek. Blood came out, and then the tongue came back where it came from, safe and sound.

I trembled, and fell to my knees, once again. I wondered how many times I kneeled this day. The blood is still streaming down on my cheek, nonstop. I don't know when I dropped my slingshot, but I know, certainly, my hands were shaking.

I looked at the monster. She's giggling, it echoed, it hurts my ears. She's looking down on me, like a child who's looking down on the desperate crawling worm on the floor and ready to step on it, at any time.

In a blink of an eye, the monster's face is in front of me. Her eyes are like a fire that can devour the entire forest, it is already devouring me, I thought. She grinned, her grin is just the thing that I cannot explain, a grin beyond my comprehension. I can smell her breath, the smell of rotten flesh of a rat, and sometimes the smell of iron blood, a fresh one.

Tears burst out and stream down quickly into my cheeks, I am breathing heavily so heavy that my lips dried. Sweating so bad that I'd like to take a pee. I did not want to see anything, so I closed my eyes.

Darkness swallows. Sane and senses fade.